Board logo

Looking for a rack with a centre pinion
Alan B - 26/9/06 at 03:32 PM

Any ideas?.....I can find a lot of off-road/buggy stuff but it's mostly around 11" to 16" centres...I need around 24"..

front or rear steer is Ok as long as I can invert it.

JB - 26/9/06 at 04:16 PM

It seems that you will be looking at racing car racks. But you could look at machinery like fork lift trucks or construction vehicles.

Companies in the UK like Titan and Jack Knight will make custom ones. I have a Titan rack on my car custom made to my requirements, cost was around £200 a few years ago.

John

Alan B - 26/9/06 at 04:20 PM

John,

Thanks for the suggestions.
It's for a 3 seater project I'm working on.

Cheers,

Alan

nitram38 - 26/9/06 at 04:36 PM

I had one made by titan for my car in the avatar. It is a 1 1/4 turn lock to lock with the ball joints in the correct place so no bump steer. Cost £250 3 years ago

John Bonnett - 26/9/06 at 04:54 PM

My memory may be playing tricks but I have an idea that the Hillman Imp has a centre take off on the steering rack.

John

chriscook - 26/9/06 at 04:55 PM

The one Aeon use might be suitable (I seem to remember they are made by Titan). I'm sure Razman will be able to supply a couple of pics/dims before you contact John Hewat at Aeon.

Chris

bikkel - 26/9/06 at 06:26 PM

some

porsche 911/914

http://sports.racer.net/images/parts/914_steering_rack_assy.jpg

koen

zetec7 - 26/9/06 at 06:30 PM

You mean, like this? It's a VW/Porsche 914 rack. I believe other Porsche racks are similar... Rescued attachment steering_rack_small.jpg
Rescued attachment steering_rack_small.jpg

zetec7 - 26/9/06 at 06:31 PM

It appears that whilst I was composing my message, someone else was thinking the same thing. Spooky

tul214 - 26/9/06 at 09:14 PM

Here?
http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/97018.htm

Alan B - 26/9/06 at 09:32 PM

Guys, thanks for all the help so far...I'd knew you'd deliver....

NS Dev - 27/9/06 at 07:11 AM

GB Engineering in the UK make (as well as driveshafts that I am always on about!) centre steer quickracks.

They are £150, and available in several lengths, and are 1.5 turns lock to lock. They are fully bronze bushed, with adjustable bronze slipper and use large sealed bearings on the pinion shaft, and are of excellent quality. They use the usual M14 ends if I remember correctly.

I have one in my grasser and it is excellent.

They are supplied complete with mounts for that price, the mounts are alloy clamp blocks and the rack is just clamped in them for mounting.

Alan B - 27/9/06 at 11:49 AM

Hmmm....that sounds promising...any link or details?

Cheers,

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
GB Engineering in the UK make (as well as driveshafts that I am always on about!) centre steer quickracks.

They are £150, and available in several lengths, and are 1.5 turns lock to lock. They are fully bronze bushed, with adjustable bronze slipper and use large sealed bearings on the pinion shaft, and are of excellent quality. They use the usual M14 ends if I remember correctly.

I have one in my grasser and it is excellent.

They are supplied complete with mounts for that price, the mounts are alloy clamp blocks and the rack is just clamped in them for mounting.

NS Dev - 27/9/06 at 11:54 AM

no link I am afraid as he is not an internet type, but he deals with credit cards etc.

phone number is: 01270 841081

Schrodinger - 27/9/06 at 12:58 PM

Alan
How is Meerkat coming along, I have just looked at your site and it hasn't been updated for a while

[Edited on 27/9/06 by Schrodinger]

Alan B - 27/9/06 at 02:45 PM

The Meerkat is hold while I work on another couple of projects...the first was helping my dad rebuild his workshop that was destroyed by hurricane Jeanne....the second is another car project....details to follow soon....watch this space...

edit...

If you look carefully at my avatar you'll see the debris from the old workshop in the background...

[Edited on 27/9/06 by Alan B]