Board logo

welding aluminium
RMarine - 18/7/09 at 08:38 AM

i have just started using a mig welder for the 1st time. i have made a few things in steel, but i would like to make a battery box and other things using aluminium. How hard is it and how does it differ from welding steel?

wilkingj - 18/7/09 at 08:50 AM

With careful though and folding, you can make a batterybox / tray without welding!

You will need pure Argon gas, and the correct filler wire.
Its not the easiest metal to work with.
TIG is the way to go for Ally.

joolsmi16 - 18/7/09 at 09:13 AM

For small jobs that your battery box you could try "lumiweld" loads of vids about on how to use the stuff.

Forget using your mig as you will need different liners, issues with the rollers if you only have two as the soft alumimium wire tends to crease, but it can be done easier on thicker plate.

ReMan - 18/7/09 at 09:51 AM

It's hard, you ask me

Not impossible, I've done a few chunky bits (4mm ish) but I would'nt fancy tring thin sheet.

BTW I am not a trained welder, I've no doubt an expert may say different

Marlon - 18/7/09 at 02:20 PM

I 'supposedly' know what i'm doing with a welder and can honestly say that migging ally is a right royal pita!!! I often have to do it but really wouldn't if I had access to a tig.

john.

MakeEverything - 18/7/09 at 04:41 PM

I used nearly a whole reel setting the welder up for Ali. Its a Fkin nightmare, and for the time and expense, youd be better off getting it done at your local engineering shop.

I bought Alumiweld, which is fantastic and really, really easy to use. Thats your best option if your convinced you need to do it yourself. Good fun too, and satisfying when complete.