Board logo

Aluminium bodywork
I love speed :-P - 11/6/09 at 08:13 PM

I haven't really had much time/dry space over the past few years for my project. However I have finished my new garage/workshop so I have once again started building.

When I got the car in the garage I decided that the paint on the chassis was crap so I proceeded to strip it all back down to a bare spaceframe. However when taking the fibreglass body off I damaged the middle section It would of been alot of work to repair the body so I thought why not try to make the middle section out of aluminium.

After I repainted the chassis, engine etc I started by bending the two 'pods'

Then I joined them together

For the lip which the bonnet sits on I bent some angle to give a recess and some extra strength

And then joined all together

It needs a little bit more trimming however until the front and rear is attached it is pointless.

I was pleased with the result so I thought I would try something else with the rest of the aluminium. It doesn't really do anything other than to keep dirt off the diff

omega0684 - 11/6/09 at 08:22 PM

looks very funky, has the car or engine got any relation to noddy?

glad to hear that your back building again! your new work space looks very roomy!

Trev D - 11/6/09 at 08:28 PM

Good work mate keep it up

Steve Hignett - 11/6/09 at 09:00 PM

As above!

Triton - 11/6/09 at 09:33 PM

way to go that will be smart done in ali...why stop at just the middle section though. Use the front and rear as a plug to make your ali panels....

907 - 12/6/09 at 05:52 AM

Well smart. Love the dif dimple.

Paul G

stevegough - 12/6/09 at 07:20 AM

I like! - nice clean lines, just goes to show how keeping things simple can turn out brilliantly - Impressive stuff!

BTW, I also like your 'signature strip' - how very true!

Keep up the good work, and don't let the weather / damp spoil it!

I love speed :-P - 13/6/09 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
looks very funky, has the car or engine got any relation to noddy?

Haha wait to you see the wheels

Thanks for all the positive feed back As Triton says I think I will try to make the rest of the car in ali. At the worst case and it all goes pair shaped I can just stick the fibre glass on

Triton - 15/6/09 at 07:41 AM

OOOOO Have you got wobbly web wheels then meduck?.......

I love speed :-P - 15/6/09 at 08:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Triton
OOOOO Have you got wobbly web wheels then meduck?.......

No I am afraid not however I do have the closest thing yellow minilights

Benonymous - 15/6/09 at 11:58 AM

That is looking superb! Excellent workmanship and a little bit of modernism with the rear splitter Also, you've picked one of my all time fave cars in the 11. Good luck and post more!

I love speed :-P - 18/6/09 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Benonymous
That is looking superb! Excellent workmanship and a little bit of modernism with the rear splitter Also, you've picked one of my all time fave cars in the 11.

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Benonymous
post more!

Ok

Only really a little update. I have changed the design a bit at the back as it fits better with the diffuser, but unfortunately I now can't really use the rear fibre glass bodywork as a plug so it is taking a little longer. Anyway here is a picture of where I am up to, the pieces are tacked together waiting to be welded. It doesn't look smooth in the pictures but it is in real life.

[Edited on 18/6/2009 by I love speed :-P]

cjtheman - 18/6/09 at 05:48 PM

very nice work mate
is it me or is the panard rod bracket on the rear axle the wrong way round
wont it prevent the axle from up and down movment
cheers
colin

I love speed :-P - 18/6/09 at 06:12 PM

You are right in that it isn't the normal way, there was a reason why I did it like that however that reason isn't there anymore. I really should change it back but there isn't really any need as it has a differnt bush.