Board logo

Rear diffuser
Sierra - 27/11/12 at 11:34 AM

I'm after a rear diffuser for my tiger Avon, what are people's thoughts on the lotus Elise s2
http://www.purelotus.co.uk/prod_desc.php?product=48

blakep82 - 27/11/12 at 11:46 AM

well, its a different car...?

loggyboy - 27/11/12 at 11:50 AM

I think you know my view on these!
So good they even go well on a Nova!
Didnt realise you could get a GRP version, the standard lotus ones are Aluminium.
I plan on fitting one to the Striker post IVA.

[Edited on 27-11-12 by loggyboy]

Sierra - 27/11/12 at 11:58 AM

I know it's a different car but I don't think there are any made for the Avon. All the ones I've seen for kit cars look a bit odd I think and this one looks good in my opinion, hopefully by it being GRP it will flex into shape to be mounted

blakep82 - 27/11/12 at 12:07 PM

i suspect the amount of work needed to get it to fit will mean 1, it won't look the same as it does now, and money+time will be more than getting antoher one from a similar (ie another type of 7 manufacturer) kit car

what about this one?
http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/acatalog/Composite_Part.html

you can buy the strakes for it seperate, and works out slightly more expensive than the lotus s2 one, but will fit the back end of the car more closely (s2 has a wider and rounder bumper i'm sure)

Sierra - 27/11/12 at 12:16 PM

I like that actually and didn't realise that you can buy extra fins

deezee - 27/11/12 at 12:24 PM

These people sell em for kit cars.

Gillham Online - Haynes Roadster GRP Diffuser

Sierra - 27/11/12 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info but not too keen on that one

RK - 27/11/12 at 02:28 PM

I made one out of plastic sheet. It is held together by rivets and ally strips. A GRP one, a la Plays Kool is a better option, but mine cost next to nothing. They will all take a bit of imagination to attach them.

[Edited on 27/11/12 by RK]

BangedupTiger - 27/11/12 at 03:08 PM

I made my own one, so perfect fit, total cost £16.

Sierra - 27/11/12 at 03:26 PM

I wish I could make my own unfortunately I don't have the space or equipment
If anyone's kind enough to make me one I'll be willing to pay

loggyboy - 27/11/12 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sierra

You only need a sheet of alloy, jigsaw, drill, rivet gun and some wood to use and a bender.

After looking on ebay at some non original alloy elise ones that go for £150 I was thinking the same thing.

omega0684 - 27/11/12 at 05:01 PM

Get in done in CARBON! you know you want to!

PAUL FISHER - 27/11/12 at 06:32 PM

Ive got the MK diffuser on my aries, I think it should fit the Tiger, some pictures on this thread.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=172379

They are 1065mm wide by 730mm deep

bi22le - 27/11/12 at 06:53 PM

Its on my winter to do list this year.

Ill be making mine from Ali plate.

Sierra - 27/11/12 at 06:58 PM

The mk is nice, what price is it?
It doesn't look too difficult to make but I live in a flat and have the car in a friends small garage so really no room, plus by the time I buy all the equipment and Ali twice as I'm bound to mess it up first time and then get it powder coated black I won't be far off buying one made.
I'm liking the plays kool one best so far with an extra 2 fins unless the Elise one isn't too difficult to mod and fit.

PAUL FISHER - 27/11/12 at 07:03 PM

The MK diffuser is around £150 + delivery

BangedupTiger - 27/11/12 at 07:26 PM

quote:

Neither do I, £16 was the cost for the sheet metal, the cutting and the bending. I just needed to provide a cardboard template for them to follow.

umgrybab - 27/11/12 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
quote:

Neither do I, £16 was the cost for the sheet metal, the cutting and the bending. I just needed to provide a cardboard template for them to follow.

Is this meant to be a pair of jeans or a pair of tights? I mean, is it meant to work or just look good? Because with the single sharp bend creating a harsh diversion angle, the air steams will separate and it won't do anything.

BangedupTiger - 27/11/12 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by umgrybab
Is this meant to be a pair of jeans or a pair of tights? I mean, is it meant to work or just look good? Because with the single sharp bend creating a harsh diversion angle, the air steams will separate and it won't do anything.

It'll work. Even if its just in my head

bi22le - 27/11/12 at 11:16 PM

If a rear diffuser actually works or not has been discussed here before. I will not be expecting my car to feel any different when i fit one.

RK - 27/11/12 at 11:32 PM

But it will work and feel different. I added a sump guard/undertray/splitter on the front, and panelled in under the rear of the car, and it is WAY more stable at speed. Seriously works, I hate to say!

Nah, nobody has discussed this before...

[Edited on 27/11/12 by RK]

rick q - 28/11/12 at 03:31 AM

Built it yourself. Cheap as chips and not too difficult. I just dicked around with Masonite templates till it all seemed to fit around the various bibs and bobs under mine.

The airflow is definitely straight along the whole underside of the car now - a gearbox leak left a lovely trail to follow :-

RK - 28/11/12 at 01:20 PM

You have to try to build one. It is ONE job that's fun, and if you screw it up, you can still drive your car.

Sierra - 28/11/12 at 03:23 PM

Just a bit of info, I've received an email from plays kool saying that if 5 people were to buy there diffuser in a groupbuy they would throw in 2 strakes for free so a saving of around £30

PAUL FISHER - 28/11/12 at 04:18 PM

You could always try Steve at SA Fabrications, he is a member on here, and had a small stand at Donnington show this year, I had a look at his diffusers there, nice quality.

http://www.safabrication.co.uk/index.html