Board logo

aero catch sticking
Steve Lovelock - 20/5/08 at 08:55 PM

I have a set of aero catches on my bonnet which were fitted about a year ago after which I removed the bonnet to store whilst I worked on other stuff. I have just fitted the bonnet again and discovered that one of the catches is sticking and wont close without help from a screwdriver. Has anybody encountered this before? If so how did you solve it?

chriscook - 20/5/08 at 09:17 PM

I had something similar when fibreglass dust was over everything in the garage. A clean up and some light lubrication (WD40) sorted it.

RazMan - 20/5/08 at 09:44 PM

There was a fault with some of the early ones. They were assembled incorrectly and were getting stuck at 'over centre'.

I phoned the manufacturer and they sent out some replacements without question. I then figured out how they were assembled, dismantled and reassembled them and ended up with TWO good pairs

sgraber - 21/5/08 at 12:48 AM

Well CRAP. I've got one that does that of late. I thought is was my fault, but maybe I need to contact the company directly.

Raz, you mentioned that you were able to take it apart and simply re-assemble it to repair it? Or did you have to file/ream some piece of it?

Being across the pond would make for an expensive replacement from the UK.

RazMan - 21/5/08 at 08:50 AM

Hi Steve, After comparing a known good one to my faulty ones it was obvious that a moulding had been assembled 180 degrees out. I had to drill out some pin retaining goo, press out the pins, dismantle and then reassemble correctly - sounds more complicated than it really is.

Steve Lovelock - 21/5/08 at 12:31 PM

Cheers Razman, I'll look into that.

Steve Lovelock - 24/5/08 at 03:24 PM

WD40 did the job. Feel a little silly for not trying it before I posted on here. In fact, now that my SVA is approaching I seem to be losing my common sense!