Board logo

MK Indy Blyton Gearbox Fail (Video)
Nick_TitanMsport - 23/9/14 at 11:24 AM

Hi Chaps,,,

might as well have this one up let you all feel my pain.

if you notice on the video the gear selects a false neutral between 4-5 a couple of laps before. the sensible thing to do was probably come in but of course i carried on.

i was using the clutch up and down it all seemed ok then curtains.

let me know your thoughts.

Ta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCLkhQgyxQ

woodstock - 23/9/14 at 12:35 PM

I had similar problems also at Blyton in a BEC (Fireblade 919) and it turned out to be my clutch. Ultimately it was wear and tear and overheating that did it for me. I think it was the 'lights out, go' starting straight at Blyton that tipped it over the edge with me doing race style starts/0-60 tests.

I replaced my clutch plates and the springs and it was fine and a lot cheaper than any gearbox work.

Worth opening up the clutch and having a look. My plain plates were blue and clearly overheated and my springs were under the specified length.

Maybe someone with a similar engine might have better advice but that's what i'd look at first.

Good luck

Chris

PAUL FISHER - 23/9/14 at 06:31 PM

It did sound a bit clunky, Ive never used the clutch with a bec on the upshifts, have you got a TRT prop, they can help soften the drive, and help save your gearbox.

gingerprince - 23/9/14 at 07:11 PM

Same noise mine made at Blyton in 2011...

Broken Teeth
Broken Teeth

Don't think I bumped into you on the day, but believe you're a mate of Andrew Hilder - says you still haven't taken him for a spin