Board logo

Excessive CrankCase Pressure
Barksavon - 10/4/11 at 01:33 PM

Seem to be getting excessive pressure build up in crank case of my Pinto, oil blowing out of dip stick tube when out on a run. Ive took the pcv valve out of the breather and got it plumbed in to a catch tank and ive got the rocker cover oil filler take off plumbed to the same catch tank. It seems to have got worse since i plumbed the crank breatehr to the catch tank,used to just have a small filter on the end of the breather pipe, ive gone back to that for now see if it makes any difference...any other suggestions appreciated (other than change to a Zetec....)

CRAIGR - 10/4/11 at 01:55 PM

Is the catch tank able to breathe to atmosphere if not it will pressurise the system??

[Edited on 10/4/11 by CRAIGR]

fimi7 - 10/4/11 at 01:56 PM

Not sure if you can find this in the UK, but this is what plan on using, basically plumbs your pcv to the headers. Uses the engines exhaust to create a vacuum.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=13023

DRC INDY 7 - 10/4/11 at 02:58 PM

On my tuned pinto I had to seal the metal part of the dipstick to the bush that goes into the tube pressure was not the issue but oil splash/throw was going up the dipstick oil mist all over makes it look like a pressure problem when there is no issue

I also had removed the PVC valve and feed crankcase and cam cover into a catch tank with a filter on top

norfolkluego - 10/4/11 at 03:06 PM

Obvious question but have you over filled it, did it on a crossflow once and it filled the catch tank in double quick time

Neville Jones - 10/4/11 at 05:25 PM

A new set of rings and a hone should solve the problem, and the symptom as well.

Cheers,
Nev.