Board logo

K series front pulley bolt.
GeoffT - 1/8/06 at 07:06 PM

Been trying tonight to shift this bolt on an 1800k without success, despite using 3ft bar on socket handle. Before I start using more 'persuasive' methods thought I'd better check that it IS a R/H thread - can anybody confirm?

Geoff.

zilspeed - 1/8/06 at 07:09 PM

It's a normal RH thread and you need a lot of grunt to get it off - i.e. an impact driver.
(The 12 volt ones out of machine mart work if nothing else is available )

GeoffT - 1/8/06 at 07:14 PM

That was quick! Thanks guys, look like I'll have to get angry with it tomorrow.

[Edited on 1/8/06 by GeoffT]

Joe T - 1/8/06 at 07:38 PM

I came across one recently that had Loctite on it, had to get the torch on it (welding not maglite!)

GeoffT - 1/8/06 at 08:10 PM

Yup, pretty much every bolt on this engine is smothered in a blue/green coloured locking compound. Looks like this is the first stripdown, so I reckon they must have had a 50 gallon drum of it at the MG/Rover plant

big_wasa - 1/8/06 at 09:51 PM

1/2 impact wrench would make short work

britishtrident - 2/8/06 at 06:48 AM

They usually come off without any trouble.

On these engines its essential to use loctite on this and the cam sprocket bolts when building back up. These pulleys/sprockets are key less so also put the pulley back on and check there is no float on the D flat of the crank.

Also check the condition of the camshaft roll pins -- replace if unsure.

GeoffT - 2/8/06 at 04:44 PM

Said bolt finally succumbed today after applying a bit of heat, beating the hell out of it with the impact driver, and then a further attack with the 3ft bar finally did the trick. Thanks for the suggestions guys, BT your comments have been duly noted.

roadboy - 3/8/06 at 11:38 AM

Make sure it is nice & tight when you refit it as they are prone to coming loose if undertightened.
It would make sense for them to be L/H thread then they would self tighten
Regds
Ian