Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Update
ahaggarty

posted on 4/10/18 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Update

Hello, I've not been on here for a while now, so I thought I'd share an update on the slow progress of my Locost 7 Replica restoration/modification.
I've been changing the front end set up with poly bushes and doing some rust treating and painting where needed. I'm rebuilding my Kent Crossflow now with a stage 3 fast road cylinder head and rebored and balanced bottom end. I'll be fitting twinchoke 40's and a freeflow exhaust manifold. I've sold the old Dunlop alloys in favor of some new wider spoked type.
I am having to do this as my budget will allow so I have been buying bits when I can afford it which has prolonged things but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
My only worry now is the MOT which will inevitably have to happen at some point, it was last done in 2013. I'm not sure of the best place to take it other than my local garage who seem to do a lot of classic type cars, but if anyone can recommend another garage used to doing MOT on kitcars and it is not to far away, then please do! I'm in the CO10 area.
Also, if anyone has any pointers and things to watch out for in regards to the MOT then please let me know.

Anyway, thanks for reading, must crack on with the car now!
All the best,
Andrew.

jps

posted on 4/10/18 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ahaggarty
I'm in the CO10 area.

As in Sudbury?

If they don't reply to this post anyway try messaging Charlie_Zetec, David Jenkins or 907 on here. They are all around Suffolk/Essex area and may have tips.

PS - is this you? https://www.suffolkfreepress.co.uk/news/kindhearted-workers-keep-disabled-couple-mobile-1-7824705/ Admirable work if it is!

[Edited on 4/10/18 by jps]

jps

posted on 4/10/18 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Whoops - double post

ahaggarty

posted on 4/10/18 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Update

Hi JPS,
Thanks for your response, and yes! that was me and my team at work. Many thanks for your comment. Funnily enough I had a mobile scooter engineer turn up at my work recently to inform me that the guy had gone off the curb again and snapped the shaft, despite everyone telling him that was the not a good idea, especially after we saw him out on his scooter with his very large wife in the passenger seat! (no offence meant) But you cant drop off a curb with that amount of load and not expect something to break. I even made the shaft out of a bit of EN24T and didnt harden it, I also left a nice radius in he corner of shaft where it went from one diameter down, in the hope that it might take more punishment but it still went in the end.
The engineer told me that the side by side scooters were no longer made due to restrictions on width, they have to be one behind the other, so I think he will not be able to use it again.

All the best.
Andrew.

snapper

posted on 4/10/18 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
In Chelmsford Trinity Motirs on Springfield road do my MOT’s they say there is not a lot to test on a kit car but have to use the time allocated by MOT/DVLA computer so gives them a chance to have a cup of tea and a batter as the time ticks down.
An MOT on a kit car is no big deal, your engine is so old it’s smoke test only the rest is standard lights brakes suspention

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

David Jenkins

posted on 4/10/18 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Where is CO10?** If that's on the north side of Colchester then my local garage is a good place to take a kit car. They won't let anything important go by, but they are sensible and fair. They deal with kit cars, trikes, motorbikes, etc. and I think they like the novelty/variety.

Station Garage

They are the opposite side of the A12 from Capel St Mary, which is about 5 miles south of Ipswich - 10 miles from the north of Colchester.

** Just looked it up on Google Maps - I guess you're not far from Sudbury, so this garage would be a reasonable place to use.

[Edited on 4/10/18 by David Jenkins]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 4/10/18 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well I can't directly comment on MOT's, as my car has never been on the road to require one!

But a couple of people I know take their kit cars/Westy to Cold Norton MOT station. Bit of a trek from you, but always had good feedback about them!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

ahaggarty

posted on 4/10/18 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Update

Thanks for your responses, good point and I'll check those garages out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.