Poll: How many angle grinders do you get through in a year? [View Results]
Angle grinders are for girls, give me a hacksaw and a file and I'm a happy bunny
I've got one from 1972 and it works just fine (it buy a good one to begin with)
1 Per year
2+ per year

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How many angle grinders do you get through in a year?
marc n

posted on 31/1/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
all our grinders are makita, all used everyday, just about all day for shaping tube etc, and they all have lasted 3 + years on the same brushes, then brushes cost £3-50 a set, i have had some makita ones that have had lighter use that have lasted 10 years , each grinder cost me £38 - £54 , i have had the £20 jobs and they have lasted a week / two weeks in our enviroment

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 31/1/08 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
there are two approaches to this.

first by cheapie grinders: screwfix/aldi/netto/argos for a fiver and treat them as consumables. you'll probalby go through one every couple of months.

or buy a mega expensive one that last longer .... but how mcuh longer?

... and which way is cheaper?

I have a b&d profession grinder bought over 20 yrs ago; not abused but still going strong.

I keep meaning to take it apart to service (oil bearing etc) but never get round to it shomehow.

I have never know the grinder to get hot.

Are you like realy pressing hard? Just hold it gently against the workpiece mincer style and let the stone to the work.

I was grinding for about 25 minutes without a break I think that was why it got so hot... I wasn't pressing very hard against the workpiece but the edge of the cutting blade were catching in the sides of the notch, occasionally the grinder would slow down considerably when that happened....

vxwestie

posted on 1/2/08 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a Makita, last for years..
Fred W B

posted on 2/2/08 at 04:20 AM Reply With Quote
I have 4 or 5 relatively cheapies under the bench, with cutting/grinding/finishing discs/the tool on them respectivly. Saves time changing blades, plus you can rotate then into whatever is getting the most use.

Haven't burnt one out yet, but have dropped a few, braking the case on one and bending the shaft on another. Isn't it a bugger whn you trip over the cord and pull them off something?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

DarrenW

posted on 4/2/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
My 9" DeWalt is still going strong after a few years. 4.5" DeWalt is fine too but doesnt see as much work.

DarrenW

posted on 4/2/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
Old Makita getting a bit hit and miss now, Machine mart cheapo went on fire first time we used it - they sent it back to be examined before giving a refund, can't be too carefult hese days!

have and Aldi cheapo which is heavy but functional and we try and leave cutting and grinding discs on seperate machines.

I bought a Dewalt which is good and still going strong but the Dewalt drill purchased from B and Q (and hardly used) has packed up in about 14 months which has put me off their stuff and confirms that they have gone down the no QC route -if they are made by Black and Decker that reduces my confidence further as we had one of their mid range cordless drills strip the gears while putting a few screws in.

Its no secret that Black & Deckers owns DeWalt but i can catagoricallt state that the products are very very different. I designed an installed the production line that made all of the European cordless drills from about 1996 to 2001 ish and was a member of the development team. Everything about the DeWalt stuff is different to the B&D gear. B&D did do a professional brand a few years back and again these arent as good as the true DeWalt stuff.

The only thing you have to be aware of is that there is full heavy duty DeWalt drills and a slightly cheaper range. The motors in the cheaper range are (or were) pretty good johnson motors but still not as good as the DeWalt manufactured motors.

I think some of the quality suffered when production was transferred out of Spennymoor a few years ago. The american factories make good stuff - they had some nice production processes and good engineers looking after them.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.