Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aldon dizzy for pinto
westf27

posted on 15/8/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Aldon dizzy for pinto

I am using an aldon non vac bosch type dizzy for my 2 litre pinto.I am sure I read that the mechanical advance on the dizzy should be all in by about 3500rpm.Having marked my crank pulley and run up to 3500rpm its shows about 23/24 degrees.Do i have a problem or am i misunderstanding.Max advance on this engine about 35/38 ?

[Edited on 15/8/2009 by westf27]

short track 123

posted on 15/8/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you rev it any higher does it still stay at the same amount of advance or does it increase ?

Jason

Shorttrack MotorSport Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dusty

posted on 16/8/09 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
What static advance do you have set? Usually something about 12-16 degrees BTDC is about right depending engine, CR, etc. The dizzy then adds it's dynamic advance to this so 12/16 + 24 = 38ish is about right for a pinto.
mookaloid

posted on 16/8/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
You can largely ignore measuring the advance to get it right.

it will run best if you keep advancing it and then trying it under load and then when it starts to pink then just back it off a bit so it's as advanced as it can be but with out pinking.

For a bit of light entertainment after that you can measure it to see what the advance actually is.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

westf27

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
strobe shows 14 degrees on the pulley at 1000 revs.Made a mark at 35 degrees but at 3500rpm it only shows about 24 degrees.Problem?

rusty nuts

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
It could be the mechanical advance mechanism sticking causing lack of advance at higher revs or possibly weak advance springs causing the initial advance to be too high
jacko

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
That's ok its about as mine is
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 16/8/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Available mechanical advance of just 10 degrees doesn't seem enough. You will be over advanced at idle or under advanced at 3500. I'd give Aldon a call for specs on Monday.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.