Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help needed with strange vw 1.9tdi issues...
franky

posted on 3/9/11 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Help needed with strange vw 1.9tdi issues...

I've a random problem on a vw sharan. 2003 1.9tdi.

the engine temp(water) gauge seems to be all over the shop, not sitting at 90 like normal. It moves up and down from 60ish to 90 at will and at speed.

Spends most of its time at 70ish on the gauge.

Using VCDS lite it seems that the gauge doesn't match the temp shown. Even with the oil at 100deg C it will randomly drop. Oil temp is constantly stable once warm. It did have a fault of temp sensor showing but I cleared it and its not appeared in the past 150miles even though the above is happening.

A few times its caused a strange loss of power, say 3 times in the past 400miles.

Is this related? MAF values seem normal under load. The car starts easily and pulls smoothly.

Sticky thermostat maybe?

I'm suppose to be taking the family to France very shortly

zilspeed

posted on 3/9/11 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
The temp sender for the guage and the ecu are often a double unit on VAG cars. So, dodgy signals to one, fine to the other.
If strange messages get sent to the ECU regarding temp, it could affect running although I don't believe there willl be much in the way of a warm up strategy in a diesel.
Then again, it's a VW.

I would consider firing a new temp sensor in there.
It cured my dodgy cold running in a Golf a few years ago.
In my case, signals to the guage were fine. Signals to the ECU were all over the shop.

franky

posted on 3/9/11 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
There's 2 engine temp sensors, i'll replace both first then go from there.

Cheers.

VanHaydn

posted on 3/9/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Maf

loss of power is connected to the MAF sensor..I had the same problem with my 1.9tdi galaxy..same motor..Pull the thermostat and see if you problem is the same..easy job...
My MAF sensor was intermittent so impossible to say it was..changed that out and problem disapeared
cheers
H

stevegough

posted on 3/9/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have had 2 1.9 tdi passats and a 1.9tdi audi - all three had 100% rock - steady temperatures during the entire time of ownership - a total of 8 years. I think you definitely have a problem.

On another subject, Franky - I am beginning to think you are right regarding my red-top's oil pressure issues, and I'm now looking for another engine! (see this thread)

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Stott

posted on 3/9/11 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
My fabia 1.9pd had a temP gauge that went cold now and then. It was the sender, £15 ish and 5 mins to replace. Happens often or so I have read.

Hth
Stott

franky

posted on 3/9/11 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
I have had 2 1.9 tdi passats and a 1.9tdi audi - all three had 100% rock - steady temperatures during the entire time of ownership - a total of 8 years. I think you definitely have a problem.

On another subject, Franky - I am beginning to think you are right regarding my red-top's oil pressure issues, and I'm now looking for another engine! (see this thread)

Bugger. Have you had the bearing caps off and pulled a couple out?

stevegough

posted on 3/9/11 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

Bugger indeed. - Actually, no I haven't yet as that will commit me to taking the engine apart (I think). But I started it yesterday (coming home from work) and it took about 7 minutes before the pressure came off zero - during this time, raising the revs above 1700 or so produced a loud bottom-end rattle. When the pressure started rising, it took about 3 seconds to steady out at 65 -70ish. Only dropping back down when it had both warmed up and back on tickover.

(sorry - I'm hijacking your thread here )

Luego Locost C20XE.

franky

posted on 3/9/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

Bugger indeed. - Actually, no I haven't yet as that will commit me to taking the engine apart (I think). But I started it yesterday (coming home from work) and it took about 7 minutes before the pressure came off zero - during this time, raising the revs above 1700 or so produced a loud bottom-end rattle. When the pressure started rising, it took about 3 seconds to steady out at 65 -70ish. Only dropping back down when it had both warmed up and back on tickover.

(sorry - I'm hijacking your thread here )

It sounds like a strange problem you've got. could you not get some replacement bolts and whip one or two off just to have a look see? It might not be that.

How is the pump driven on your engine?

On a positive note, I changed the engine temp sensor and now my gauge is behaving as it should and the data to the ecu is now correct.

stevegough

posted on 3/9/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
glad to hear you've fixed the problem. My oil pump is mounted directly on the end of the crankshaft, I'm still not sure I haven't got a tooth missing on the pump innards, causing poor suction, making it slow to initially prime, hence the nil pressure. I can certainly take a main bearing cap off, but I'm not sure I will be able to tell whether it is badly worn or not. How much of a job is it to replace all the big end shells? - it is something I am very unfamiliar with - would the crank likely to be in need of regrinding, too?

Luego Locost C20XE.

franky

posted on 3/9/11 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
you could take one off and have a look. the pic of mine shows what worn and good ones look like. You might feel scoring on the crank. Would it be worth fitting another pump just to make sure?

You can generally fit new shells without removing the crank if the cranks ok. You could always test the pump you've got I guess.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.