Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: headlights stalks wiring!!!!*****!!!
RMarine

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
headlights stalks wiring!!!!*****!!!

hi all, i am about to burn my garage down with my car in it........ i am trying to get the headlights working using sierra stalks and failing badly.
i have looked at the diagrams on other posts and while there help me to understand the logic they dont seen to answer my question...
For instance:
1 when you turn on the side light via the 1st stage of the switch on the stalk everything is fine and lights up as it should.. but when i then move the stalk to the 2nd stage nothing happens... now i have taken the wires off the back of the stalk and run a power to the live feed (as shown in many many diagrams on these forums) then put my tester on the side lights pin and it works when i move to stalk to position 1, however when i move the stalk to position 2 for the dip beam no other pin powers up??? so how in the name of all that is holy can the lights now when to turn on... i would have thought that a second pin that would feed the relay would power up......

Please help me !!!!!

Its all Mark Evans fault......

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
How many feeds to the stalk do you have?
daniel mason

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not too sure with sierra stalks as I used the Honda ones but sounds like you may have got the feed and Side light wires the wrong way round. As in the live feed connected to feed to side lights and feed to sides connected to what should be the live or common pin. Therefore when your switching on it works as you are still connecting across the terminals but when you switch to rippled you have nothing as the common pin is not live

RMarine

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
one

loggyboy

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is there not 2 lives? 1 for sides, 1 for dipped?
mark chandler

posted on 27/2/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
It was a long time ago when I did mine, from hazy memory it worked in an inverted way, have a look for a switched earth used to trip a relay, side lights are low wattage so okay on a straight switched live.

Regards Mark

RMarine

posted on 27/2/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
still not working

RMarine

posted on 27/2/12 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone know a auto electrician in or around south beds?

austin man

posted on 27/2/12 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
There are two types I believe 1 uses a switched earth the other doesn't brother in law is a sparky he wired both mine and his two different types mine where a pain and did arounf 15 fuses before he sorted it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dusty

posted on 28/2/12 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Later sierra column stalks ie part number 87BG****** work by sitching to earth on the right stalk to switch twin relays. The earth is connected to pin 31. The headlight on/off switch on the right stalk connects this earth to pin 56. There is a crossover wire from pin 56 on the right stalk to pin 56 on the left stalk. Having arrived at the left stalk this is switchable to outputs 56A and 56B which are connected to the earth points on the switching sides of the two headlight relays. Pins 86. If you now plumb a constant or ignition live to pins 85 on those relays then this earthing circuit will switch either relay off/on. The switched side of these two relays is the usual constant live to 30 and wire off to main or dip bulbs in the lights from 87. I have put a simple diagram in my archive.
I should have mentioned that to get the flash to work you have to wire an EARTH to terminal 15 on the left column switch. Very odd but just do it and don't think about it! Trust me. I used to be a doctor before I was struck off!

[Edited on 28/2/12 by Dusty]

RMarine

posted on 28/2/12 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
right, i am off to bed before i go crazy.....

RMarine

posted on 28/2/12 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
i think there is my problem. the sierra stalks are making a small job a nightmare (to the point of me wanting to sale the whole car). i think i am going to do anyway with the stalks and go for a switch instead. i hope that works. thanks everybody.

[Edited on 28/2/12 by RMarine]

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 28/2/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
If approached in the correct manner, the sierra switch need not be a nightmare, see the diagrams below, you need a decent (ish) multimeter and a little bit of common sense, all will be well.

Take is slow and work through ONE circuit at a time, its less daunting for the non-professional.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

rusty nuts

posted on 28/2/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Might be a good idea to post the part number of the switch you are using as there are at least 2 if not three ,as already suggested, which are wired differently.
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 28/2/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Might be a good idea to post the part number of the switch you are using as there are at least 2 if not three ,as already suggested, which are wired differently.

+1 on that

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

RMarine

posted on 28/2/12 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, but o think i am just going to have switches to operate the lights. i dont think the problem is the stalks as much as it is the loom.
thanks again for all your help..

PS: if there is anyone out there looking to retrain and be your own boss - Mobile Auto Electrician..... i call a few people, sent a few photos and got prices of between £300 and £1200 to sort out the wiring and adapt the loom for billet switches and stalks!!!!!!! and everyone said "we are so busy , you will have to wait a month or two...."

Thanks again all....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.