Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wiring loom
plugy1972

posted on 28/4/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
wiring loom

the loom that came with the car seams tied in insulation tape(electricains tape) can i tape up the loom that i have changed with electrical tape or put them in heatshrink as i have been told i have to use a "special tape"
twybrow

posted on 28/4/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
You can use what you like - it's your car! The reason people don't tend to use electrical tape (insulating tape) is that it makes everything very sticky. The 'proper' stuff is called self-amalgamating tape, and it isn't sticky, but if you stretch it, it sticks to itself. You can also use split conduit, or spiral wrap, whatever you find easier. Personally, I used split conduit, and self-amalgamating tape where wires don't run in the conduit - e.g. to terminate them. I hope this helps!
big-vee-twin

posted on 28/4/12 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I do the same as above, the special tape you refer to is probably loom tape which is like electricians tape but has not sticky on it.
You wrap up your wires and tape the end with sticky pvc tape to stop it unwinding.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

nick205

posted on 28/4/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Split conduit is the easiest to work with I found as it makes it easy to modify the loom during and after the wiring process. Spiral wrap is a pain to fit and then a real pain to modify. Where the wires come out of the split conduit I fitted PVC sleeving for protection from the conduit itself and then to contain the wires to the actual termination point.

coozer

posted on 28/4/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I wrapped mine up with spirowrap and put split convolute over that. Only used insulation tape at the ends and few places to hold everything together.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.