Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mk or westfield??
evonigel

posted on 3/3/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
mk or westfield??

hi guys just after some advice here.having had two bec mk indy in the past I am seriously considering another kit car.Why are westfields so much more expensive than an indy?Going by the prices online in various places a 10 year old westfield is similar money to a 2 year old indy.Thanks in advance for any comments
ross05

posted on 3/3/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield has been around longer with 30 years development,just look at the finish and quality

maybe a bit bias I own a westfield...

minitici

posted on 3/3/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Get a Caterham (runs for cover)........
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/3/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
The lightness, quality and something else you can't quantify (though is intrinsic) would make me say Westfield everytime.
No, I'm not an armchair guy, I've had examples of both.

However, Westfield have moved on to more of a production car thing, with (IN MY OPINION ONLY - worth nothing, I am totally wrong and deluded, sorry) detriment to the old-fashioned self building/parts/spares area. The factory bears witness to this, no rows of jigs and frantic welding. MK seem more of the Westfield of old.

fullpint

posted on 3/3/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Get a Caterham (runs for cover)........

Twice the price of a Westy
I agree a Westfield is a better built car but I cant really fault my Mk.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for.
I had the chance of a megablade (£8.5K) but in the end purchased the Mk Indy blade of this forum for nearly half that price. And I have no regrets.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ross05

posted on 3/3/13 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at both before buying the westie,but at the end of the day the westie won hands down on quality and finish,plus resale value!! and it has weather gear,trying to find an MK with weather gear was impossible
evonigel

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the comments guys that explains a few things.So are you guys saying a 10 year old westie would be a better/smarter buy than a 2 year old mk??
ross05

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
depends on the spec of the cars and what you are going to use it for,If you want a track car that is new -ish buy an MK,However if you are doing a lot of touring need a few creature comforts like roof heater etc look at the westie..A good spec westie that is 20 years old will still command good money..
fullpint

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
It depends upon the spec of the Mk.. As you know you can just buy a basic kit and do a home build. Buy a second-hand Mk that was factory built to a good spec and then I'm sure it will hold its value.
Ross05; I agree about the wet-gear!! My MK has none hence the low miles we can only do unless you wish to get wet that is
If you can afford a Westy mate buy one. After all you have had a couple of Mk's now. I'm sure that with in 5 years I too will up-grade to a Westy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
evonigel

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fullpint
It depends upon the spec of the Mk.. As you know you can just buy a basic kit and do a home build. Buy a second-hand Mk that was factory built to a good spec and then I'm sure it will hold its value.
Ross05; I agree about the wet-gear!! My MK has none hence the low miles we can only do unless you wish to get wet that is
If you can afford a Westy mate buy one. After all you have had a couple of Mk's now. I'm sure that with in 5 years I too will up-grade to a Westy.

hows my old indyblade doing?

perksy

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
The Westy may be more expensive but will hold its value better and probably be easier to sell when the time comes.

Always buy on Spec and condition rather than age.

evonigel

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-2002-megabusa/990025

being a westie virgin how does this look for spec and value?

ross05

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
totally agree Persky,mine is 16 years young !!

http://s1342.beta.photobucket.com/user/ross1960/media/goodwood2012025_zpse763d6d2.jpg.html

but has a new raceline 2ltr zetec with 45's therfore still worth a few bob (I hope)

go for condition and spec everytime.

fullpint

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
What I have your old Mk Indy blade? Where you the first owner then? Guess you know who O got it from then
I'm very pleased with it. Ok had a few little issue but it is a kit car. Would love to track down any original build information..

evonigel

posted on 3/3/13 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fullpint
What I have your old Mk Indy blade? Where you the first owner then? Guess you know who O got it from then
I'm very pleased with it. Ok had a few little issue but it is a kit car. Would love to track down any original build information..

I was the second owner I think.I sold it to a guy from Newcastle area who I am guessing you bought it from.

fullpint

posted on 3/3/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I love it. It was a toss up between the Mk or a megablade in Oxford.. Never having owned a kit car before I thought it best to buy the Mk as a starter.. Think I will keep it for a bit. Got to find an aero screen for it and also some 13" wheels with better tyres. Its still got the uni-royal rainmaster on it
Look forward to seeing your post saying 'My new MK/Westfield Busa'.. That would be my next move.

austin man

posted on 3/3/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Horses for courses really you get what you pay for how much you can afford and what it is your trying to achieve. The Wesfiled has no douby had a few millinon chucked at it in development etc the quality body etc will no doubt be one of the best again you are paying for it. I have an MK no weather gear and use it whenever possible, Comfort wise they can be as comfortable or uncomfortable as you want as for weather gear there are plenty of peiple who have fitted them using the GBS stuff I believe. heaters are easy enough to install.

The main thing in my oppinion is that you feel you have value for your money

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/3/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
MK

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Benzo

posted on 4/3/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
I use my westie for racing and road use, i have one for purely residual values.

[Edited on 4/3/13 by Benzo]

fimi7

posted on 4/3/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
So here is my input.

I have an MK Indy R, happy with the final build. But if I were to do it again, I would do a Westfield.

Ignore the cost up front. In the end, to get the MK to the Westfield standard, you will spend more or about the same over a long period. Just spend it up front, reduce the aggravation of having to deal with the bad customer service and you will have what you want.

What ever you do, do not buy the donor car parts from MK, get them yourself and have them reconditioned yourself or do it yourself..

--- Ali

whitestu

posted on 4/3/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
From my experience MKs are basic good value for money. I was after a cheap 7 alike and built mine for about £5k. I don't think I would have built a Westy for that.

In my opinion the quality of whet you get for your money is good. Customer service is poor though.

If you are going for something a bit higher end then a Westy may be a better bet.

parkiboy

posted on 4/3/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I went for my mk over a Westfield due to mk being so local to me and I prefer the look of the mk, it is IMO one of the best looking 7 style cars.

I could have got a westy for a similar price as the mk, I nearly did purchase one, they dont hold the money as well as alot of people think.

bobinspain

posted on 4/3/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Since buying my factory built MK, I´ve seen two utterly mint Westies, high spec superbly built. 6 and 9 yrs old and under 10k sterling. (Less than 2/3rds the cost of my MK).
Take your time and the right car will come along.

evonigel

posted on 4/3/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the advice guys.general opinion seems to sway towards the westfield even it will be cosiderably older than what you would buy in an mk for similar money.
evonigel

posted on 9/3/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
don't know what way to go lol
whats the general opinion on the link below?
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-seiw-sports-2001/1143122

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.