Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Structural Engineers
dave

posted on 1/9/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Structural Engineers

Anyone know the going rate for a structural Engineer report is nowadays. i have decided to put a proper roof on my 40m2 conservatory and have been advised to get an Engineer to do his/her thing.
deanspoors

posted on 1/9/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've just knocked my conservatory down today. Initial plan was to add 7 stone pillars to place a roof onto, but after digging down beside the conservatory to check foundation depth, I found almost no foundations. I think you should have close to 1m depth, 600mm wide for a single story extension. I doubt many conservatories have anything more than a cursory helping of concrete foundation.

You could always underpin or fit a fake tiled roof.

dhutch

posted on 2/9/13 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deanspoors
I've just knocked my conservatory down today. Initial plan was to add 7 stone pillars to place a roof onto, but after digging down beside the conservatory to check foundation depth, I found almost no foundations. I think you should have close to 1m depth, 600mm wide for a single story extension. I doubt many conservatories have anything more than a cursory helping of concrete foundation.

I wouldn't be surprised is this isn't the case, although it depends what a 'proper roof' is as although tiles/slate might be right out, a lighter roof might not as you say, and either is not a 'clear' plastic roof, which the associated heating/cooling issues.

However, although I'm and engineer who works with structures, my field of structural engineering experience is welded fabrications/chassis/booms construction equipment, not the roofs and foundations of buildings. So cant really advise, even on the going rate for such people.

Daniel

mcerd1

posted on 2/9/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
again can't give the going rate for that type of engineer (I do structural steelwork myself)

but I can tell you to avoid WMA at South Queensferry - one of the other guys here used them on the advice of west lothian council and had nothing but problems with them

-

dave

posted on 2/9/13 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
The plan is to lift the existing roof and ring beam off and dispose, then fit a new ring beam that will sit on 2 brick pillars one at each end (these exist) and 2 new internal pillars these are at the house end, then build 3 new pillars outside the current footprint of the conservatory to support the new roof. the roof will be apex and hip ended timber trusses, boards and metrotiles.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.