Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 main switch (cant get it to start)
tyson1982

posted on 4/5/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
R1 main switch (cant get it to start)

Hi all
I have just transplanted an R1 engine into my kitcar. I purchased the loom and engine but totally forgot about the main switch (spent all day cursing as I couldnt fire the bl""dy thing up). The engine is 98-99 model. Can any one tell me how to bypass this switch as I REALLY want to start my car tomorrow.

Thanks

adithorp

posted on 4/5/08 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's an 06 injection engine so some of this might not apply to yours

You need to by-pass the side-stand and clutch switches (connect the wires together). Then make sure your tilt switch is the right way up (UP the right way up on the side of the box, not on the top). Connect/switch the secondary ignition wires together. Connect/switch the stop switch wires together. Switch the primary ignition wires together. Earth the start wire. Should go providing the 99' engine doesn't have the immobiliser system!

This might help; would never have sorted mine without it.

http://www.robcollingridge.com/kitcar/design/engine/electrics.html

adrian

Davey D

posted on 4/5/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
you only have to bypass the side stand, and clutch switch if you are starting it in gear.

If it is neutral, then it should still start

ch1ll1

posted on 4/5/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
start/stop= red + red and white wires.
starter = black + blue wires

from memory,

not sure if you mean that or the main key switch block

paul

tyson1982

posted on 4/5/08 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly thank you all for such a quick reply. Going to be honest, I cant make sense of the wiring diagrams (good with old mechanics but thats where it ends
I have sorted the stand and clutch switch's and the engine is in neutral. I have the switch gear plugged in (does it need to be earthed?). It does have an immobilizer but I have the key fob. As for the tilt sensor, I havent come across this before what do i need to do? (sorry wasnt 100% sure and ive already spent a day trying to sort mess the resembles my wiring loom).
If someone could tell me what wires (colours) I need to sort (for the main ignition) I would be so greatful. If you live close enough and have the answers I will happily reward you with beers as I am SO EXCITED about finally starting her up.

p.s. I have looked at wiring diagrams but I cant find one that relates to a 98-99 model (and that tells you how to hotwire it lol).

I will post some pics soon, the entire project has come in at under £1300 so far which isnt bad for a budget trackday weapon (if i can ever actually start it

Davey D

posted on 5/5/08 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
does the engine crank , and sound like its trying to fire when you press the start button, or does it do nothing?

Where abouts do you live?

tyson1982

posted on 5/5/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Its totally dead, if I could get the main ignition sorted then I think I woul be fine. I'm based in Borehamwood, hertfodshire but would feel very guilty getting someone to do my work.

Thanks in advance for te help

ko_racer

posted on 5/5/08 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
From the wiring diagram I have you need to connect the following (assuminig you've sorted the clutch & side stand switch)

Main IGN:
Big White 2 pin connector:
Join Red to Brown/Blue
4 Pin IGN Connector
Join Blue/Red to Blue and
Blue/Yellow to Black

For Right hand switch gear (Eng Stop & Start)

6 Pin brown Connector:
Start - Mom join Black to Black
Eng Stop Bypass- Join Red/White to Red/Black

The 4xv R1 doesn't have a tilt sensor, that's for the injection engines.

You must have the exup motor plugged in or it'll not rev properly once running on the road.

I'm only in Welwyn so if you are still stuck drop me an email at keith@koracing.co.uk and I can always pop down to give you a hand.

Regards

Keith

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tyson1982

posted on 5/5/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
THANK YOU SO MUCH, I am going to get started right now (my girlfriends going to love me haven't left the workshop all weekend lol).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.