Board logo

Sierra Cosworth Gearbox
skibikejohn - 2/7/10 at 01:30 PM

How hard is it to find a Sierra / Sapphire Cosworth 2 wheel drive T5 gearbox?

T5's are easy to get on this side of the pond but they are out of Mustangs and have different input and output splines.

turbodisplay - 2/7/10 at 01:37 PM

I guess you could replace the input shaft, or why not use a differnt clucth plate/ spigot bearing?

Darren

mcerd1 - 2/7/10 at 01:41 PM

have a look on ebay or ask one of the specalist breakers - but your talking £500+ for a half decent one + shipping to the US

[Edited on 2/7/2010 by mcerd1]

liam.mccaffrey - 2/7/10 at 01:57 PM

I think you'd be very very lucky to source a Cosworth T5 in North America, especailly when they are laying around in junk yards for peanuts.
EDIT
Just read you have a YB, did it come from the UK?
You could get a cheapy T5 and just buy a T5 to YB bellhousing.

I have looked into this when I lived in Oklahoma and I think its easier to source a clutch plate with the right input splines for your box.

Seeing as your going to have to have a propshaft made anyway you could have it made with a correct output splines also.

I have a really good book I bought at Barnes and noble about the T5 and its model variations.

[Edited on 2/7/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

[Edited on 2/7/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

andkilde - 2/7/10 at 03:27 PM

Hey John

This is the best deal I've tracked down on a Bell.

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousings/Pinto-or-Cosworth-to-Borg-Warner-T5-Bellhousing/prod_15.html

I'm doing an SVT Zetec, but I believe the block pattern is the same as your YB.

Mustang V8 input is a tiny bit shorter (1/4" or so) than a 4 cyl T5 input, easy to make up the difference with a custom pilot bush. RWD motorsport offers a clutch kit but I think it's common with 4 cyl mustangs, so lots of North American aftermarket bits on the shelf, think SVO Mustang, etc.

Quad4rods out on the US west coast also offers a suitable bell, but it's pretty expensive and requires a $200ish concentric hydraulic slave setup.

This is a decent chart with input shaft lengths, pilot diameters and gear ratios for north american T5s.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm

Either a 2.95 or 3.35 1st gearset is a decent fit for a hot four banger in a Locost sized car. The NA 4 cylinder T5s are apparently getting hard to get parts for. V8 one's both World Class and Non World Class are well supported.

t