Board logo

2 post lift
rustyk - 17/5/09 at 11:51 AM

Hi,

Quick question. I've done a bit of searching on the forums so I think I know what the concensus is, but would you lot say it's fine to put a 7 on a 2 post lift?
I need to change the gearbox oil on mine and one of my mates (who's a good mechanic) reckons a 2 post lif might be a bit dodgy on our cars because of the design of the chassis.
He's said it would be much better to wait and take it somewhere with a 'proper' ramp/lift.
Cheers!

cidersurfer - 17/5/09 at 12:00 PM

Mines been on a two post loads of times, can't see a problem personally

Mal - 17/5/09 at 12:05 PM

I agree with Cidersurfer.

rusty nuts - 17/5/09 at 12:19 PM

No problem with mine on a two poster either. Draining the oil will be fun if your using a type 9 box, there is no drain plug. It is possible to get most of the oil out using a piece of screen washer hose but takes ages

rustyk - 17/5/09 at 12:24 PM

Doh! Yes, it's a type 9.. That'll be fun then :-)
He was worried about the chassis twisting I think but sounds like it won't be a problem as long as we're careful.

Peteff - 17/5/09 at 01:19 PM

Just asking out of interest. I only ever topped mine up and there is no service interval for changing it is there ?

jonesier1 - 17/5/09 at 03:52 PM

mines been on a two poster,no problem.

rustyk - 17/5/09 at 03:57 PM

When I drove it on Thursday (first drive) my mate commented that the gearbox sounded very 'whiney'. It was supposedly a rebuilt unit, but we thought rather safe than sorry let's change the oil. That the reason. At least make sure it's topped up anyway.
I have to say thought, it sounded pretty good making a bit of noise!

DarrenW - 19/5/09 at 03:11 PM

I know of at least one manufacturer that uses a 2 post lift with no issues at all. If the chassis were a problem it would be worse to lift with a jack from a single point but no-one has ever had a problem with those.
You should be able to lift the car using a high lift pallet truck as well - even more locost.

NS Dev - 21/5/09 at 08:12 PM

of course it'll be ok on a 2 post (that's what I have in my workshop! ) and if lifting it up could twist it then I certainly wouldn't entertain driving anywhere in it!!!!!

wilkingj - 22/5/09 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
No problem with mine on a two poster either. Draining the oil will be fun if your using a type 9 box, there is no drain plug. It is possible to get most of the oil out using a piece of screen washer hose but takes ages

How about using a vacuum venturi effect like on the brake bleeders that use an airline?.

I empty a 4" duct of water using that technique!
I have a Duct that runs from the garden into the house, (about 4 metres, with 90 degree bends on each end).
I have to drain it out a couple of times a year.

I use a shcutz gun with an extended pipe, works a treat. For the gearbox, you just need another pipe into a large can to collect the oil, rather than spray it over the garden (mines just rainwater in the pipe)