Board logo

Gas welding
designer - 13/6/14 at 11:44 AM

I have just found out that my UK supply of bottles is ending.

I use gas because most of my stuff has nooks and crannies to weld in. What is an alternative for use on 3mm mild steel as MIG isn't perfect (welds a bit messy).

Do they still do the gas/compressor rigs I used at school?

Thatcher - 13/6/14 at 12:14 PM

Well if you are a good gas welder there's only Tig, as you use both hands one for the torch and the other for filler wire, and its a very high qualitiy weld..

loggyboy - 13/6/14 at 12:43 PM

halfords disposables?
If you only do odds and sods they last for ages and only about £15 a time. Easy to get bring over (or get friends/relatives to bring them over) as they only the size of 1l bottle.

iank - 13/6/14 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
halfords disposables?
If you only do odds and sods they last for ages and only about £15 a time. Easy to get bring over (or get friends/relatives to bring them over) as they only the size of 1l bottle.

The don't do oxy-acetylene bottles.

iank - 13/6/14 at 01:05 PM

Air Liquide do small cylinders presumably they could supply in France.

The Venom Project - 13/6/14 at 03:02 PM

I seem to remember you have to sign a long lease at Air Liquide, something like 10 years

rusty nuts - 13/6/14 at 03:07 PM

Check your local motor factor, many can supply acetelyn and oxygen in rent free 10 lt bottles, deposit is around £70 ++vat . The gas is more lex pensive but for small volume users it works out a lot cheaper. The Migwelding forum might be worth a look as well