Board logo

running a garage with a genny
cobra427 - 22/2/09 at 10:49 AM

Anyone running their garage off a genny?

If so what?

Anyone using an old car eng as a genny?

rusty nuts - 22/2/09 at 11:14 AM

I don't have any power in my lock up and find a generator too noisy as there are houses on 3 sides although I do use one sometimes. For lighting I have a couple of 12 v batteries to run a double 5ft strip light through an invertor, they only need a charge occasionally . Use a decent cordless drill and if I need it a gas powered soldering iron. Any welding gets done at work.

zilspeed - 22/2/09 at 11:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cobra427
Anyone running their garage off a genny?

If so what?

Anyone using an old car eng as a genny?

That would be genny and heat surely ?

Plumb a couple of rads into the water pump and you're good to go.

Something like an old BL A series would run silently at a tickover of 850 rpm or thereabouts and give you all the heat and 12V leccy you wanted.
Build a little shed round the back of the garage and stick it in there with a bit of insulation and a nice big silencer to keep it quiet.

cobra427 - 22/2/09 at 12:39 PM

Now this is what I'm talking about...

Everyone thinks I'm a loon

I've thought long and hard on this - and power/heat from the same source.

The idea is to throw the gen and compressor into the same "out-house" to cut noise in the main garage.

wrigglypig - 22/2/09 at 02:26 PM

Sounds like a bloody great idea to me particularly with the radiators, have a few decent heavy duty batteries for it to charge and use an inverter, aldi and netto have them every so often. Let us know how you get on.

cobra427 - 22/2/09 at 08:24 PM

Ladies and gentlemen...

I give you...

Ta Dah!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tXpUKQ8PMI

carpmart - 22/2/09 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cobra427
Ladies and gentlemen...

I give you...

Ta Dah!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tXpUKQ8PMI

David Jenkins - 22/2/09 at 09:44 PM

I rather like this one, for all sorts of reasons (but especially for the noise it makes).

Listeroid