Board logo

shop / house maintinance
graememk - 9/11/09 at 02:39 PM

Ok quick question, the management company wants to put up there maintenance fee for next year at my shop, but I already think I’m paying over the top.

Does anyone else have a property where they have to pay a maintenance fee ?

I’m currently paying £600 per year, what do you pay just to give me a rough guide please

nick205 - 9/11/09 at 02:53 PM

We used to pay around £800 a year in 2003-5 for our 1 bed flat in an 1800's building. The figure was set annually by the free hold co. of which we were 1/14th shareholders.

Always a bit galling to pay it, but the buiding, gardens, garages etc were kept in very, very good order and it included buildings insurance as well.

What does you £600 get you?

[Edited on 9/11/09 by nick205]

graememk - 9/11/09 at 03:24 PM

general upkeep, external painting, fire alarm testing not much else no gardens.

buildinig was last painted very poorly 5 years ago.

nick205 - 9/11/09 at 03:54 PM

I'd be asking them for a schedule of works for the next 12 months and a break down of the fee they're charging.

Blackcab - 9/11/09 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'd be asking them for a schedule of works for the next 12 months and a break down of the fee they're charging.

As above - they should have no issue in providing it

snapper - 9/11/09 at 07:22 PM

If they maintain more than one shop or a row of shops, get together with the other lease's and see if you negotiate the price down

MakeEverything - 9/11/09 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Exactly. I used to pay a maintenance fee on a leasehold flat, and it was money for old rope until the old man took over the contract

The previous guy that owned the maintenance company, went very coy when all the residents got him into one of the flats and hammered him. I chaired the meeting, and demanded that we see maintenance records, proof of purchase for parts purchased to date, and a 52 week planner for maintenance that is going to take place ongoing.

Three weeks later he disappeared with our fund, but there wasnt much left in it.