Board logo

Building an Extension....
MakeEverything - 9/8/10 at 12:52 PM

Anyone know a trustworthy builder in Hertfordshire?

I would project manage and carry out a lot of the work myself, but i just dont have the time to do it. Apart from that, the missus wont let me!!!

I have a builder who has been late for two meetings, and im just not overwhelmed with confidence.

tegwin - 9/8/10 at 01:04 PM

There are a couple of websites where you can post details of your project and contractors will then contact you if they are interested... not tried it myself mind you..

Other than that, have you tried asking some local arcitects if they can recomend some builders to approach for tender?

(I presume you have full plans for the builders to work from?) Easier to get a fixed price if the plans are full.

MakeEverything - 9/8/10 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
There are a couple of websites where you can post details of your project and contractors will then contact you if they are interested... not tried it myself mind you..

Other than that, have you tried asking some local arcitects if they can recomend some builders to approach for tender?

(I presume you have full plans for the builders to work from?) Easier to get a fixed price if the plans are full.

I wont post the details of the project anywhere, as i dont like the sound of it!

The architect has made plans for building control approval (meeting here at 3 as well), so once they are done, i will have construction plans to be able to go out to competitive tender. I think ill write up a scope of works and output specification as well, just to be sure that everything is covered.

What i dont want is to get into a pissing contest with the builders, or get ripped off or left with a half finished building.

tegwin - 9/8/10 at 01:24 PM

The architects I have been talking with have mentioned that they have lists of builders they have "used" and will help with submitting tenders to them based on their plans...

But that assumes full plans, not just building regs..

Sorry, cant be more help really.. I am just starting the planning phase... 3-6 months for approval

MakeEverything - 9/8/10 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I am just starting the planning phase... 3-6 months for approval

21 days for building control for me. God only knows about planning permission.

nick205 - 9/8/10 at 01:37 PM

Also worth consulting CheckaTrade website for local builders.

The receommendations/feedback is from actual customers and gives you a good indication of how they perform all round.

I know a builder for example who's work is unquestionable. His site tidiness and time keeping however is abominable.

Liam - 9/8/10 at 02:11 PM

Where abouts in Herts are you? I know a good Beds/Bucks based builder so he may travel a bit further. I used him on recommendations from colleagues, and he did a good job on my somewhat bespoke project. Small outfit, good price, reliable, flexible and honest. Gary Craddock is the name - website here...

http://gcraddock.co.uk/index.html

ko_racer - 9/8/10 at 03:02 PM

I've used Shepherd Construction
They are very good

01707 335659

Puzzled - 9/8/10 at 03:49 PM

THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU"LL EVER GET - - - - Pay your Archicect to tender your job,Supervise it ,and be responsible for paying the builder (through CERTIFICATION) for the work.It removes all risks on your behalf, costs a few quid but IS WELL WORTH IT, just ask the thousands of people who"ve been stiched up by dodgy builders over the years.This comes from a HUNTER turned GAMEKEEPER !!!!.

watsonpj - 9/8/10 at 07:00 PM

Don't get me started plans ok, building regs passed but builders are a nightmare. First 2 gave me quotes but when asked for brrakdown as they were so different nothing was forthcoming (erm lost it have to redo) so 4 weeks lost there. Latest one seems better but still awaiting quote after 3 weeks so times a ticking and the summers nearly gone and the roofs got to come off

JoelP - 9/8/10 at 07:26 PM

For the bulider, you need a foolproof contract, and agreed stage payments so that, if he does do a runner, you have only paid up to date.

Why not just find individual trades yourself, the builder would charge a lot on top for organising it all. ie brickie, spark, plasterer and plumber etc.

JoelP - 9/8/10 at 07:30 PM

also, dont automatically pick the cheapest quote unless you want the cheapest job!

From the bottom of my quotes:

"In 1586 Pope Sixtus V wanted a 200 tonne obelisk moving across Rome. Of the many tendered quotes, he picked the most expensive, and the obelisk was moved to St Peters Square within one year, where it has stood ever since.

Thus proving that you get what you pay for. "

Not really, but im going to start adding that one day

Xtreme Kermit - 9/8/10 at 08:01 PM

As well as the staged payments, ensure that you have a good percentage payable only when the snagging list has been rectified.

Once you have paid the majority of the cash, there is little incentive for them to come back and dot the Is and cross the Ts.