Board logo

Think I've got my replacement eng/trans
cobra427 - 16/4/09 at 08:30 PM

As some oik has wandered off with my Volvo doner... I think I've come up with a possible replacement.

A 2l vauxhall eng to a ford box/diff..

(i sort of liked the dragons vectra sxi,sri,gsi,sky whatever - as I "followed" things on the m1 while she was asleep the other day )

Does anyone have any thoughts on this (the eng/box combo - not me chasing er, keeping up with traffic.. I already know I'm a baaad boy, as the youngest grassed on me - So... I'm barred from her vectra for a while.)

cd.thomson - 16/4/09 at 09:07 PM

id say it was the best combo in the world

reasons for picking the 2l vauxhall (specifically the C20XE): Incredibly affordable way to 200hp and beyond. Its described as the last of the production engines with a true racing spirit, that 200hp can be achieved with no modification to the internals! Thats what convinced me in the end.

reasons for picked the ford box (specifically the 5 speed type 9): its reasonably reliable considering cost, there are still lots of them around despite rumours to the contrary and therefore they are still cheap. Adapting one to fit the other is no problem and there are a number of suppliers who you can get the necessary parts from, its been done many times before. Alternatively you could look at the omega box, although these are rarer and more expensive theres almost no chance youll have to change it! Difficulty here comes in have a custom made prop, but again not the end of the world.

Im using a T9 btw.

[Edited on 16/4/09 by cd.thomson]

omega0684 - 16/4/09 at 10:21 PM

but of course craigs opinion doesn't count cuz he drives a french car!

GO PINTO! lol

[Edited on 16/4/09 by omega0684]

cobra427 - 17/4/09 at 09:19 AM

This is what swung it - the fact that 'er-in-doors' vectra shifts - and I like the F23 box it has as well is close gated and smooth... which gives me ideas for FWD projects in the future..

I found a company that sells the bellhousings that go from a range of vuaxhall engs to ford boxes... they also (if you have the money) kits that go upto 250bh.

I've looked at the omega drive train. and most of them seem to be autos. and like you say the manuals are like rocking horse manure.

In all honesty the volvo would have been a good starting point for me. but the best I could have had out of the red block would be around the 180bh to 200bh mark with serious work (ready to be corrected).

Whereas the GM - potential without much work (as hers is already 140bh)- as you again say.

Maybe they did me a favour in nicking the volvo..

cd.thomson - 17/4/09 at 09:26 AM

if the company youre looking at is SBD I would nudge you in the direction of yukspeed and Rally And Competition Equipment (RACE). Im using RACE but would recommend yukspeed...far far better customer service.

I know youre only in the formative stages, but youll see that your bottom line for the install is a much smaller number if you use the two companies above. Same goes with most parts by SBD, shop around, sometimes custom fabrication is still cheaper than their parts!

cobra427 - 17/4/09 at 05:56 PM

spooky... you been in my firefox history - Yeah I HAD been looking at SBD, and you're right they seem pricey for some of the options.

I'll look at all of the recommendations and do tons of research (which is what I'd been doing for the ol' red block.) then I can set my stall out - as they say - and do it right.