Board logo

Which radiator for a Cosworth?
BigFaceDave - 13/7/10 at 05:13 PM

Im starting the plumbing and I need to get a radiator, I did like the idea of a land rover one with a oil cooler built in but seeing as oil coolers arent massively expensive I dont mind fitting one seperatly.

So my question is what radiators do you recommened? will a polo rad be suitable or will I need a bigger rad? I can squeeze upto 635mm wide by 500mm long in the nose cone but also would like to fit the oil cooler and intercooler in there too.
Cheers!

tomgregory2000 - 13/7/10 at 05:53 PM

polo rad not big enough

in my viento with the sr20det engine fitted i am running the pace products 4 core caterham racing rad and that copes (just) with the temps, they aint cheap and you MUST mount them on rubber AV mounts AND fit the most powerfull fan you can.

Ive tryed a couple of setups in my viento so if you need any info or pics just ask

Tommy

franky - 13/7/10 at 06:02 PM

I've give radtec a call, all i'd say is ignore the website prices

I got a custom spec radiator with large fan (70mm core, extreme spec) high spec oil cooler, expansion tank, catch tank for a very good price.

BigFaceDave - 13/7/10 at 06:21 PM

Is this the one Tommy?

http://www.paceproducts.co.uk/public_html/php/products_info.php?parent=4&productID=car/caterham7

There is no price listed but will give them a call in the morning, There not that far away from me either. Any ideas if the land rover one will be enough? I assunme not, I believe its approx 16" x 21" but dont know how thick.

tomgregory2000 - 13/7/10 at 06:34 PM

yep thats the one

i think its about £330 ish plus vat plus delivery, the main thing is that it is short in height so you can get the intercooler pipes over the top.

BigFaceDave - 13/7/10 at 06:55 PM

Do you reckon this would be upto the job? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220188068847&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

tomgregory2000 - 13/7/10 at 07:20 PM

I would NOT use this one, it has a filler neck on it that would get in the way if the intercooler pipes and would need blocking off and its prob only a 2 core looking at how thick it is

Danozeman - 13/7/10 at 07:28 PM

Id say you need at least a 2 core one without the filler cap on it. You can get them made to your spec aswell. Theres a place in bury that does it on moreton hall, cant remember the name and sheldrake and wells in ipswich. Its not too expensive to get them made.

skibikejohn - 13/7/10 at 07:59 PM

I used the one which came with my kit from Luego, but my YB is aspirated. You may need more cooling if you have a turbo.

BigFaceDave - 13/7/10 at 08:10 PM

Dan, I have had a quick google and it looks like East anglia radiator services are on moreton hall, could that be who you are thinking of? I shall give them and sheldrake and wells a call in the morning and see what they come up with.