Board logo

crossflow oil level Breather probems
mattyc - 2/6/11 at 10:33 PM

Evening all can somebody point me in the right direction of the correct amount of oil that I should put in my 1.6 cross flow. I have found a number of sources saying different figures. The problem I’m having is large quantise of oil are coming back out of the breather and intern sucked into the inlet. I am still running the standard fuel pump so that removes the issue of no baffle. any help would be much appreciated as I would like to get it booked in for its MOT asap.

Cheers

Matt

steve m - 2/6/11 at 11:05 PM

I to had this problem, so now i vent all fumes from the crankcase breather straight into an old coke bottle, that way i dont smoke every one out at high revs,

i have also blocked off the crankcase to carb hole

Since doing this, it seems to run better, doesnt pump oil out

Steve

JimSpencer - 3/6/11 at 07:35 AM

Hi

What we used to do was:-
Two taped connections into rocker cover.
Run pipe from crankcase breather to rocker cover - after all that's where you want the oil to end up..
Run breather pipe from Rocker cover to catch tank (anything oil tight about a litre.)

you'll end up with the oil where you want it, and not much in the catch tank either.

HTH

mattyc - 3/6/11 at 08:34 AM

Thanks for the help. I have read in the Haynes book that oil capacity is 4.48 litres but other sources have said 3.5.

kendo - 3/6/11 at 09:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi

What we used to do was:-
Two taped connections into rocker cover.
Run pipe from crankcase breather to rocker cover - after all that's where you want the oil to end up..
Run breather pipe from Rocker cover to catch tank (anything oil tight about a litre.)

you'll end up with the oil where you want it, and not much in the catch tank either.

HTH

That's what I've done too and works well.