<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR1000F Locost Improvements
Edwardo

posted on 17/3/22 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Hi Tony,

While your looking at the fuel tank location, work out how to keep it located solidly so that when it gets tested it will pass with flying colours. Also work out fuel lines and anything else needed connected to it, like fuel gauge wiring and also install a permanent earth wire for it too.

Hi Jason, by test do you mean MOT - as it's already registered?

I've got a lot of work still to do in the rear there. New tank doesn't have a hole for the sender yet so will be using those fixings for the earth when that gets fitted. Will def also need to carefully work out where to finally position and solidly support that tank as I don't want it fouling the handbrake cables etc.

Although this doesn't require an IVA - I'm trying to incorporate all the 'good practices' from it during this rebuild.

Cheers
Tony

[Edited on 17/3/22 by Edwardo]

roadrunner

posted on 17/3/22 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Great work.
The more I see people fitting prop catchers the more I think I should have one as a matter of urgency. Do you guys fit one at the rear of the prop also.
Keep the updates coming in.

OliilO

posted on 17/3/22 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
A random question; do you have any idea what the colour code for your body work is?

It looks similar to mine (although it’s always hard to tell in pictures) but I’ve struggled to find a good colour code match to date.

Edwardo

posted on 17/3/22 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
A random question; do you have any idea what the colour code for your body work is?

It looks similar to mine (although it’s always hard to tell in pictures) but I’ve struggled to find a good colour code match to date.

I'm not sure if you mean the original blue or the yellow bodywork I'm going to be putting back on - but either way I'm afraid not sorry

I did start to try and found out if the yellow Luego bodywork was a standard RAL colour, so bought a couple of cans that looked close - but haven't tried them yet.

Cheers
Tony

OliilO

posted on 18/3/22 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I actually meant the blue bodywork. I've got a few repairs to make and it's hard to identify a match as it looks different in different lights/on different screens.

I've bought a couple of spray cans to try and and match it with but not been successful yet!

Edwardo

posted on 18/3/22 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Great work.
The more I see people fitting prop catchers the more I think I should have one as a matter of urgency. Do you guys fit one at the rear of the prop also.
Keep the updates coming in.

Sorry - totally forgot to reply to this.

Front and back would be ideal if you have the space - but with the narrow tunnel and live axle jumping around its not really possible on mine.

I was told if you only fit one - fit it at the front. If the rear one lets go you can dip the clutch to bring the prop down to tickover rpm and kill the engine instantly to stop it flailing around. If the front one goes, the thing will flail around until you can bring the whole car to a halt as the diff will keep driving it.

Cheers
Tony

pmc_3

posted on 23/3/22 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of clearance do you have between the prop and the tunnel on the drivers side Tony? Saw you asking about an exhaust are you just looking for something a bit nicer than you currently have?
Edwardo

posted on 24/3/22 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
What sort of clearance do you have between the prop and the tunnel on the drivers side Tony? Saw you asking about an exhaust are you just looking for something a bit nicer than you currently have?

Hi Pete - At the tightest point there is approx 10mm clearance to a vertical chassis member, but this opens out a bit as it heads to the diff :-

The exhaust manifold this came with is terrible. Under the exhaust wrap its corroded badly and its just all kinds of wrong.

It touches the chassis rail (all 4 tubes) which is obviously dreadful :-

And with the front arch fitted - it touches the front tube on full lock (don't know how he got it through MOT's like that) :-

During the rebuild I was going to buy a load of bends and tube and remake it. Plan was to get it to the right shape - tacked into place and then drop it down to local fabricators to get it welded up properly.

Was thinking it might be whole lot easier to try starting with something fairly close to begin with and modding it slightly to fit? Hence the ad for an old fireblade manifold to try tinkering with.

Cheers
Tony

pmc_3

posted on 24/3/22 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Tony, I'm in the process of building the transmission tunnel on mine and have been working on 20mm min clearance to the prop which should be enough by the sounds of it.

I wondered if the old manifold had been bodged, hopefully something will turn up.

Edwardo

posted on 4/5/22 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Finally bit the bullet and started doing the brake lines as they had become quite a large blockage to making any proper progress on getting this back together.

Started on the rears - Previous owners seemed to think it was perfectly fine to have a totally unsupported run from the flexi to the N/S wheel cylinder and then a totally unsupported wavy 'all over the place' run all the way back across the axle to the O/S cylinder :-

I preferred to bring the rear brake line into a Tee and then split it both ways. Ended up using some large rubber lined P clips clamped to the axle casing to hold the runs :-

Not the neatest of jobs tbh - but certainly a lot better than it was!

Dropped the engine back in last night so I can see where I've got space to run the front lines as they were a mess as well originally (although nowhere near as bad as bad as the rears).

So hopefully another week or 2 and I can get the tunnel boxed back up and get on to the wiring which is one of the bits I enjoy

Cheers
Tony

Edwardo

posted on 28/11/22 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey - haven't updated this since May! But I have been making progress so thought would update the diary thread. Apologies for the pic heavy update.

I did get the rest of the brake lines finished and the back and tunnel paneled up/carpeted :-

Also made a new panel to connect the tunnel to the dash and mounted the Ignition/fuel pump/isolator etc on it :-

Trimmed the new dash blank and mounted the switches/gauges etc :-

I had a brand new rev counter for an old CBR1000F and wanted to use it - so bought a cheap Chinese Koso knockoff second hand from someone on FB and made a hybrid rev counter which hopefully looks ok :-

Finished off mounting the fuel tank/fitting the level sender/rollover valve etc etc :-

Then spent some time trimming and fitting the nose cone and bonnet. Took the bonnet scoop off the old one and sprayed it to match (ish) :-

Also fitted the new rad - which just barely squeaks in under the nose cone :-

Then decided the wiring needed starting - so am still currently progressing with that :-

The front wiring is nearly done - need to finish that off and then get to the back. Also need to make new mounts for the LED headlights and get those on and wired in.

Front carbon arches need trimming/fitting and will be collecting the rear carbon arches later this week. Found a great set of rear lights for them too which are a little different so will link those later if they do look good on the car.

Anywho - so that's the current state of the car - still loads and loads to do but def getting there. Hoping to get MOT'd in spring next year if I can keep the momentum going!

pmc_3

posted on 3/12/22 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Good progress! Did you manage to source another manifold?
Edwardo

posted on 5/12/22 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
Good progress! Did you manage to source another manifold?

No sadly not yet. They seem to be very difficult to come by it seems.

ReMan

posted on 5/12/22 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great! Well done

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Edwardo

posted on 20/2/23 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Still been at it - the wiring has taken considerably longer than I hoped - but just about got it all done now.

Managed to get some time this weekend to fab up supports for the new led headlights - so the car now has a face! :-

Need to get them connected in to the wiring this week and paint the mounts.

The car was starting to look quite mean before I put the headlights on - it seems to look a bit softer now it has face, a bit like a wide mouth frog or a bottom feeding fish or something

TimC

posted on 21/2/23 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Looking great. Quite the journey.
Edwardo

posted on 22/5/23 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Finally back on the site after the verify thing wasn't working - so thought I'd post an update.

Engine is now fully back in and just need to sort the plumbing to the new rad - so not far off being able to fire her back up now

Whilst the weather was nice - I got round to making the new aluminium side panels (old ones were stainless and weighed a ton!) :-

As you can see, decided to go with the flared fronts to help get hot air from the rad out.

Whilst it was out - also jacked up the rear and had a go at trimming and fitting the diffuser :-

Still trying to find a colour match for the yellow of the body panels. Tried several different RAL yellows but none match. Bought some cheap vinyl off Ebay in the hope it would be close enough. Looks close in certain lights - but way off in others :-

Edwardo

posted on 14/6/23 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Finally bit the bullet and decided to test the new fuel system and tank tonight - with a view to potentially starting it for the first time 2 1/2 years since the rebuild started.

Pushed the car out/put 5 litres of fuel in and checked for leaks - all good - no drips or leaks

Pressurised the system with the pump to fill carbs etc and check for leaks before starting. All the new joints and parts were good and leak free.

Then - I smelt it - FUEL!

Fuel had started seeping out from the float bowl joins on 1 carb to begin with - then 2 others.

Pulled the carbs apart again and had to admit - the seals are pretty ancient and squashed flat :-

Funnily enough, the only carb bowl that wasn't leaking was the one that only has 2 of the 3 screws attached as the thread had broken off for the 3rd. Strange..

So - replacement seal kit ordered. They don't seem to do genuine parts anymore for carbs this old so have had to go with an aftermarket kit. If it lasts a couple of years before leaking again - I'll consider that a win these days. So need to get on with finishing off some other jobs whilst waiting for the postie now.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.