Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rainwater Harvesting Systems??
coozer

posted on 24/6/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
All I want to do is use the rainwater to flush the bog. That means I'm not buying nice clean water and then paying the same for the sewage. Current price structure means if I use 2.5cubic metres of fresh water the sewage charge is for 2.5cubic metres of sewage. I'm already impressed with the change over from rates to meter, the monthly cost has reduced £14 already!

So, if I use rainwater out the 1000l IBC I save some more costs, and the planet a little bit, although I'm not fussed about that tbh. The IBC has collected 650L since last friday, I'm shortly going to have to empty it down the drain, and that would be a waste!

IBC is 3m away from the bathroom in the garden and about 500m lower than the bathroom floor. All I need is a system to get the water out the IBC into the cistern. Needs to be largely fit and forget with the mains supply easily switched back on. Plumbing it up is no problem its the delivery source I need.

Thanks everyone,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 24/6/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
500m lower? thats a lot.
seeing as its not that far, i'd go with some sort of solar/wind/both powered pump business. even if it pumps to the space i think you said there is above the bog if you can put a small tank in there, say enough for 10 flushes, into a holding tank, then fills with gravity as and when needed. fills the tank by day, flushes by night. maybe a mains backup for those winter days
or, a true fit and forget way, build the tank a small brick out building, so it can be slightly above the toilet to fill by gravity, but that'll probably cost more to build than it saves

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

posted on 24/6/11 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
LOL 500mm....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeR

posted on 24/6/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you just put a service valve in the existing water fill pipe - allows easy return to mains if needed.

then on the opposite side of the cistern fit another ball cock thingy to allow filling that drives a water pump. When the water level drops you'd either have one, the other or both filling the cistern.

coozer

posted on 24/6/11 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Couldn't you just put a service valve in the existing water fill pipe - allows easy return to mains if needed.

then on the opposite side of the cistern fit another ball cock thingy to allow filling that drives a water pump. When the water level drops you'd either have one, the other or both filling the cistern.

Nice idea Mike, yep theres a service valve on the flexi. Just wondering how a mechanical ball valve can control a leccy pump....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

craig1410

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just wait until your neighbour is on holiday and run an underground pipe to their outside tap! Sorted!
britishtrident

posted on 24/6/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rebecca of Stormsaver
Hi Steve,

Taking out the bath and putting in a shower is a great start. If you are really serious about reducing your water bill significantly you should invest in a good quality rainwater harvesting system for toilet flushing, washing machines and gardens. Our Monsoon system would be ideal as it also has 50% less energy use than others on the market too! Have a look at www.stormsaver.com where you can obtain an instant quote http://www.stormsaver.com/Quick-Quote[/url].

However if you don’t want to go this far there are other cheaper ways to reduce your water bill… but they wont reap the same rewards as a rainwater system. Also you must do it properly as there are lots of rules about cross contamination of rain and mains water. However if you have a good system you won’t need UV and it should need little maintenance.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Rebecca

That's like heavy sh** man ;-)

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coozer

posted on 24/6/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Right, heres the plan....

1000l IBC in the garden collects rainwater off me 5x2.4m canopy. I put a small, say 100l tank in the void above the bog. I use a pump to feed the tank via a ball cock. I use a 10w solar panel to trickle charge a 12v battery to feed the pump.

THIS pump says it starts as soon as water is being used. Will the ball cock opening be enough of a disturbance to make it pump?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 6/12/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

balidey

posted on 6/12/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Over the last 6 months you could have been carrying it up in buckets.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Confused but excited.

posted on 6/12/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Please listen to the trident bloke!!!
Legionella is not good!!
You say you have an IBC, these are 1000 litres of storage, BUT are translucent allowing plenty of light to get in. This encourages algae growth and other nasties. You really need underground storage and some kind of UV treatment for rainwater. This link gives you an idea of what the company I work for supplies and it ain't too cheap.

Hope this helps!!

I'm just going to use a black one. Simples and cheap.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

bob tatt

posted on 6/12/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
You need a negative head pump to make it work I'm installing a 6000l one on a job and that rums with a negative head pump . The ball cock is designed to work under pressure so opening it as the level drops will have no effect on a standard flow switch operated pump.
bobinspain

posted on 6/12/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW

My neighbour has a wind driven electric generator, a solar array (at the side of his tennis court) and a rainwater harvesting system. None of these are 'stand alone.' they all augment normal utilities.
Water here is around 1 euro a cube. His auto-watering system for his garden developed a leak (undetected until he got his metred water bill). 6,000 euros. Ouch !
Turned out to be an underground burst pipe just leaching water away into the soil. (around 100 swimming pools worth).

JoelP

posted on 7/12/11 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would personally just raise the storage tank up a foot above the cistern.

As an aside, can you not just bypass your water meter? I dont think its a crime like bypassing other meters. You could easily hide the modified pipework somewhere, mine is hidden behind a kitchen unit with just a hole cut out to see the meter.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.