Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why do car dealers tell such lies
britishtrident

posted on 21/11/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Although I have heard a lot of murmurs in the last coupl e of years about high oil consumption on some VW products this is truly excess consumption I suspect as MikeRJ has suggested the piston rings have not bedded in to the bore or les likely an oil ring was damaged when the engine was assembled.
VW generally while not being quite as bullet proof as the they were in the days of the MK1 Golf do build good cars better than most European car manufacturers.

Oil consumption on modern engines should be close to zero it is the norm for very high mileage Rover K engines not to use a drop of oil between 15,000 mile oil change services running on 5w/30.

[Edited on 21/11/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

pmc_3

posted on 21/11/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
My Passat 1.9TDi 110 turned over 230k miles today. I've had to put less than half a litre of oil in it for the past 7k miles and it has a bit of an oil leak.
britishtrident

posted on 21/11/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
My Passat 1.9TDi 110 turned over 230k miles today. I've had to put less than half a litre of oil in it for the past 7k miles and it has a bit of an oil leak.

Ask for a refund --- the car clearly a lemon. ;-)

[/I]

ashg

posted on 21/11/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
my vauxhall signum never needs topping up between services and its got a fiat diesel engine in it!! oh did i mention the service interval on it is 20k ! had it from 26k and it hit 100k today.

its never missed a beat although it had a little hiccup the other month but eventually tracked that down to a split in the intercooler.

so in its life its had 3 sets of front pads, a pair of front discs, 1 set of rear pads, rear discs, a new intercooler, 6 tyres, 2 headlight bulbs, a brake light bulb, an egr valve. (that it didnt need crappy vauxhall forum taking me down the garden path) and a thermostat. not bad for 74k of trouble free motoring.

as for the vw its wrong and i feel sorry for the poor sod that buys it!

my old k reg bangernomics astra estate did even better than that. paid £250 for it put 40k on it in a year running costs £36 which equated to one new rear shock and a rocker cover gasket. It had a free oil change at kwikfit when i got it and took out insurance with you guessed it kwikfit. when i was done with it i gave it to my mate and the thing is still going strong 2 years later

oh and again that didn't use any oil and it was a poo cart 1.4 auto that got thrashed everywhere.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

britishtrident

posted on 21/11/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke
Alot of the VAG group new engines use really thin oils such as 5w30, 0w30 which are almost like water. When i worked for a car accesories company you wouldnt go a day without a handful of customers wanting oil for VAG cars. I guess it been so thin it must just burn it.

5w/30 is the norm for all manufacturers, these days if you buy a new Honda it will have 5w/20 in the sump, some VW engines especially diesels with the PD pump need very specific oils matching the engine type AND year of manufacture.

[/I]

perksy

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have heard of issues with the cam chain tensioners and heads coking up due to running the wrong octane fuel on these but not excessive oil consumption

Sadly i'm always weary of main dealers, especially if they see a lady owner coming in by herself..

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/11/11 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Some main dealers are better than others. Try a different one.
Sometimes worth getting the problems written down to "avoid confusion". Nothing like a bit of hard evidence to keep people honest.

I have had good experiences with VW products (the 1.9Tdi engine is especially mighty).

David Jenkins

posted on 22/11/11 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
IMO and by direct observation VW products are simply substandard.
Cheapest possible designs using the lowest grade parts they can get away with. Erm.. Don't buy another one ?

Thats a very strong opinion.

And completely incorrect.

Not in my experience... the Mk 4 Golf was renowned for poor build quality, and got slated by the press & public. They're still using that chassis & its parts in Seats etc.

But I'm not going down that road, as I'm getting a reputation as a VAG hater!

whitestu

posted on 22/11/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
We have had 3 VWs and all were badly built. Mainly rust problems ['92 Polo], Windows falling out [ 2000 Golf 1.8t] and trim falling off, water leaks, dodgy electrics [2004 Passatt TDI].

I've always had Italian and French stuff before which was similar quality to VW. We now have two Toyotas, though not really by choice, and the quality difference is amazing.

Still rather have an old Alfa or Citroen though!

Stu

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.