Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine for a Scimitar Coupe
Superleggo

posted on 7/12/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
spiderman

BMW/Omega straight 6 diesel seems like a sensible idea. Just dug out a copy of the mag and has a read. I have just given away one of the engines to a mate as I thought I had no use for it.

What RWD box bolts to the VR6 engine?

scimjim

posted on 7/12/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superleggo
However I I have got a couple of Scimitars SE5 as well. I tried to fit a V6 cosworth into one of them but gave up as as everything seemed in the way. The SE5 is 4'' narrower than the SE6 so it seemed like too much hassle. I now sold the cosworth engine but wondering what is the best option for the SE5's. A Zetec would be cheap and I now understand the wiring so could get an easy 134 hp but somehow a fell I should put a V6 in so I guess the Omega engine is the obvious choice but this is my current thinking. I plan to have one of them as a fast road car with sensible MPG and cheap donar

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong

The Omaga V6 engine made about 216hp in police spec and came with a manual box but the 3.0 engine in most cars was an auto in most cars with about 170 bhp so I would have to find multiple donars to run it as a manual. possibly an easy box to modify the gear linkage.

Any thoughts for my scimitar se5 welcome

not sure if you've visited www.scimitarweb.com but:

SE5a with jag running gear, LS3 on twin carbs and tremec 6 speed

SE6a with omega V6 and another here

SE5a with same and another here

SE5 with AJV6

SE6a with Lexus V8 and box

SE6b with 24v Cosworth - too many examples with 12v 2.9i to list :-)

the Omega/BMW straight six diesel belongs to a Club member, there's Rover V8 SE5/SE6/GTC (with and without turbo(s)), TVR V8s, small block chevy's and lots of discussion on alternatives (including a VR6 RWD gearbox link IIRC) here and here for example.

Regards

Jim

[Edited on 7/12/12 by scimjim]

Superleggo

posted on 7/12/12 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the information/links Scimjim. It looks like I had better get reading!
ss1turbo

posted on 8/12/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm the "builder" of one of the Omega-engined 5a's, so feel free to ask questions on my thread (first 5a thread Jim linked to).

Plenty of other ideas come up but until tried, some of them are unknown...

Omega is (through all of our trials and errors) probably the best "off the shelf" option IMHO - and don't discount the 2.5 V6. Much easier to find in manual box flavour, makes 170-ish bhp before you remove the cats and you get almost 20bhp more if you drop the 3.0 cams in. If you're canny with the engine placement then there should be virtually no bodywork hacking to deal with. The slightly narrower "vee" angle helps, offset with the larger heads.

With the Essex engine and cast iron gearbox removed, I reckon an SE5/5a would drop to around 1000kg or just over, so despite the substantial chassis and less-than-lightweight body, it should move along quite nicely and return well over 30mpg on a run. Thats the reason I did it...

Long live RWD...

ettore bugatti

posted on 8/12/12 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget the Jaguar S-type, pretty cheap now. And it has a 3.0 v6 with around 230 horses.
cal

posted on 10/12/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of different options there. You can pick up the 24v bob or boa quite cheap and you have plenty of cheap horses but tbh most units need a bit of tlc as they have been thrashed over the years. I saw someone comment about a 12v 2.9 cologne. Good engine with plenty of potential for larger hp gains over the 24v unit though don't mate it with a type 9, it's a nice gearbox for something like a pinto or zetec just not anything with a bit or torque. If you go the cologne route go for an mt75 4x4 box or I think the BMW 320 box fits with an adaptor.the cologne engine is very nice , very cheap and gives plenty of torque. On the other hand there are plenty of rover v8s out there but your getting towards the upper end of size you can fit under the hood.
britishtrident

posted on 10/12/12 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The existing box is fine it is a very good box very very strong and will take really serious abuse and it has 6 forward ratios.
Only things to watch are that the oil level dosen't drop and the reverse lockout for the overdrive works .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Superleggo

posted on 22/12/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
A friend suggested Renault V6 from an Avantine is 240bhp but I guess the gearbox option are a problem as I am not sure which RWD box bolts up to the Renaul V6. Renault electrics are not renoun for their reliability
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.