Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: nabbed by the Po po
steve m

posted on 23/3/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have read this, with dismay

if I am reading the Op's original post correctly , I e admitting 85 in a 50, then then he should be put away

My daughter lives not 100 yards away, from a 50mph area ("stupid I know" but if anyone was to hurt, or worse, any one one of my family for driving like a "****", as per the OP, I will personly hunt him down , and ,make his live (whats left of it) a f ing misory

and trust me, the damage that can be done me, you would not believe !

Edited for language -CW

[Edited on 24/3/2014 by ChrisW]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

iank

posted on 23/3/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

if I am reading the Op's original post correctly , I e admitting 85 in a 50, then then he should be put away

My daughter lives not 100 yards away, from a 50mph area ("stupid I know" but if anyone was to hurt, or worse, any one one of my family for driving like a "cunt", as per the OP, I will personly hunt him down , and ,make his live (whats left of it) a f ing misory

While not condoning the OP the stretch of A1 at that point has only been brought down from 70mph motorway rules inside the last year for traffic flow reasons. No pedestrians could be hit accidentally.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

yellowcab

posted on 23/3/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Are people slating the guy for doing 85mph in a 50mph lol

For crying out loud take it all in context, read his whole post.

He was not doing 65mph down a 30zone on a breezy summers day outside the school gates at 3:15pm ffs.

JoelP

posted on 23/3/14 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just realised that that is where I got nicked a few months ago! I did a speed awareness course, but got flashed again 7 days later...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve m

posted on 23/3/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Speed limit's are not there to protect the driver, but the innocent who perhaps, should not be there

says a lot really

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

steve m

posted on 23/3/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
"For crying out loud take it all in context, read his whole post."

I did read it

and hopefully, the idiot does not live locally

Steve

owelly

posted on 23/3/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Let's hope there are not too many folks quick to judge and climb aboard their (speed-limited) high horse and start some sort of aggressive vigilante patrols!!
I've exceeded the speed limit on occasions and I'm confident that I was no more likely to kill anyones kids, than if I was sticking to the speed limit passing the local school at kicking-out time!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 23/3/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd feel safer around an alert, skilled driver in a well maintained sports car doing 85 than someone half asleep doing 50 in a poorly maintained mondeo. Speed limits are largely arbitrary and are chosen to suit an average driver in an average car on an average day.

In many circumstances (eg. fog, heavy rain, snow) it would be inappropriate to travel even at the speed limit and it can be acceptably safe to drive in excess of the limit in other circumstances (eg. empty road, clear weather). That doesn't make it legal of course and you have to live with any consequences, legal or otherwise if it all goes wrong. Sadly, things can go wrong at any speed and the results can be equally tragic. A someone who drives the best part of 20k miles a year, the biggest risk I see is inattention and plain and simple "poor" driving standards. I would call this "careless" driving and it happens just as much at low speeds as it does at high speeds. Driving at or below the limit DOES NOT guarantee safety - far from it! It just so happens that it is more easily measured than "carelessness" and can even be automated via "safety" vans...

If speed alone was so dangerous then the Autobahns in Germany would have been outlawed many years ago.

Anyway, 'nuff said. I'm off before the name calling starts...

Edit: Aargh, too late, it's started...
quote:
hopefully, the idiot does not live locally

[Edited on 23/3/2014 by craig1410]

Sam_68

posted on 24/3/14 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Personally I'd feel safer around an alert, skilled driver in a well maintained sports car doing 85 than someone half asleep doing 50 in a poorly maintained mondeo. Speed limits are largely arbitrary and are chosen to suit an average driver in an average car on an average day.

^^^ This.

Before Steve M implodes in a puff of righteous indignation, he might wish to consider the logic and relative safety of applying the same speed limit to a sports car that, in dry conditions, can brake and change direction at circa 1g, and a heavily laden van or articulated lorry that might, on a good day, manage 0.35g.

I'd go further than Craig and suggest that speed limits are chosen to suit the lowest common denominator, not the average. In fact, having been involved in the design of many new roads as part of my day job (designing housing estates), I can go further than to suggest it: I can tell you that it's a fact.

Research has established that the average deceleration rate for drivers stopping in response to a hazard is 4.5m/sec-2 (a little less than half a g, and roughly half the braking capability of a modern performance car). Design Bulletin 32 (the document that the majority of the UK's roads are designed to) is based on an assumed rate of 2.5m/sec-2 which is approximately equivalent to stopping on snow without skidding.

If you don't believe me, see page 18 of the evidence guide for Manual for Streets.

In other words, the design safety margins on British roads are huge, so you'd have to be driving like a total fuckwit for speed to be the only factor in an accident, in the majority of instances.

I have no problem with people using their own judgement, in moderation, provided they take responsibility for their actions and are prepared to accept the legal consequences.

onenastyviper

posted on 24/3/14 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

^^^ This.

Before Steve M implodes in a puff of righteous indignation, he might wish to consider the logic and relative safety of applying the same speed limit to a sports car that, in dry conditions, can brake and change direction at circa 1g, and a heavily laden van or articulated lorry that might, on a good day, manage 0.35g.

I'd go further than Craig and suggest that speed limits are chosen to suit the lowest common denominator, not the average. In fact, having been involved in the design of many new roads as part of my day job (designing housing estates), I can go further than to suggest it: I can tell you that it's a fact.

Research has established that the average deceleration rate for drivers stopping in response to a hazard is 4.5m/sec-2 (a little less than half a g, and roughly half the braking capability of a modern performance car). Design Bulletin 32 (the document that the majority of the UK's roads are designed to) is based on an assumed rate of 2.5m/sec-2 which is approximately equivalent to stopping on snow without skidding.

If you don't believe me, see page 18 of the evidence guide for Manual for Streets.

In other words, the design safety margins on British roads are huge, so you'd have to be driving like a total fuckwit for speed to be the only factor in an accident, in the majority of instances.

I have no problem with people using their own judgement, in moderation, provided they take responsibility for their actions and are prepared to accept the legal consequences.

Unfortunately, the majority have neither the skill, equipment nor desire to "improve" their skills so are you seriously suggesting that we allow everyone to "exercise their judgement"?

Having been on several trackdays and seen the general level of "at speed driving", I would suggest that it would be totally unworkable and probably increase the numbers of serious incidents to drivers, passengers and pedestrians.

Just take it to a track where you can go as fast as you can and where you have local safety support - better that than to fall off into a ditch on some a-road somewhere.

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

Sam_68

posted on 24/3/14 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onenastyviper
...are you seriously suggesting that we allow everyone to "exercise their judgement"?

That's what's happening at the moment, to a greater or lesser degree, so yes.

Are you seriously suggesting that everyone currently lives so much in fear of rigorous police enforcement that they drive religiously to the speed limits at all times?

adampage

posted on 24/3/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

My daughter lives not 100 yards away, from a 50mph area ("stupid I know" but if anyone was to hurt, or worse, any one one of my family for driving like a "****", as per the OP, I will personly hunt him down , and ,make his live (whats left of it) a f ing misory

I didn't know Chuck Norris was on this site!
Chuck'll have his hands full if he's going after everyone who broke the speed limit at night on a deserted dual carriageway......

Edited for (quoted) language - CW

[Edited on 24/3/2014 by ChrisW]

Oddified

posted on 24/3/14 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'm fairly sure 90% on here break the speed limits on a regular basis, and i have no problem with that at all if done in suitable places and conditions.

When i was at school we were taught about road safety and the green cross code (or something like that...it's a while ago now! lol) etc etc. Now if someones hit on the road it must be the cars fault, after all 'Speed Kills'. Of course speed kills, if cars weren't moving at all then there wouldn't be any collisions between cars-cars or cars-people!.

Times change, but if everyone (motorists and pedestrians) used common sense we'd all get on just fine

Ian

ST_eely

posted on 24/3/14 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys, just to try and clear up a few things

Can I just point out that I was fully aware I may have been speeding - I am not making any excuses otherewise.
I knew as soon as the blue lights came on I had been daft.
I pulled off the slip road onto the stretch of the A1 heading southbound along the team Valley, into lane 1, checked my right shoulder was clear (Im a biker - its habit!) and accelerated along lane 2 passing 3 cars before pulling back into lane 1. Once I had passed them I then returned back to the speed limit.
Anyone who knows this section of the A1 will know that it was reduced from a 70 to 50 mph limit a few year ago for reasons I dont know, but simply cant understand as at any other time than rush hour, this road flows freely.

Some of the posts are making out like i run down children and kittens for a hobby. Far from it.
I believe myself to be a higher than average skilled driver who simply made a mistake. I find it hard to believe that anyone who owns a 7 type car/ performance car or motorbike has ever failed to stick to anything but the limit. I have a clean licence of 17 years and have never been pulled for anything other than a random stop (on my zx10 with a race can!).

Ive no qualms for being pulled for speeding and accept the punishment, but what bothers me is every day I see people with little or no idea on driving skill or standard who may be sticking to the speed limits, but are a danger otherwise through lack of or no observation or blatant disregard (mobile phones??) yet seem to get away with it constantly.

Anyway, Im not even going to get started on that one.....

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/3/14 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
All I would say to all this, quite frankly, is that (whatever) the roads really are no place for any vehicle remotely 'interesting'. The tarmac is an unsafe place, with many drivers distracted, idiotic or just plain uncaring.

I (like many people?) removed my kit car from the road, fitted slicks and never looked back. My desire for a kit car in the first place came from a wish to survive on the highway. Too many hospital visits from motorcycling SMIDSY events.

The last SMIDSY was the youngster who "failed to see" the LWB white transit pulling the huge white BJ racebox. I saw the 'accident' coming like a train crash, the van went past the junction, the trailer followed, the youngster approching didn't even slow down, didn't look, just went straight into the side of the trailer. He's why I gave up motorcycling and driving kit cars on the road.

Thing is, my Mundaneo is very easy to keep to speed limits, and I do, religiously, annoying the tailback behind me. The overtaking risks that I've seen are quite unbelievable. Nothing amazes me now, I expect the worst from people.

Surely everybody here, driving a kit car on the road, has exceeded the limit (safely) at some point. It's that kind of car, it's a kind of car that attracts attention, as does a motorcycle, from people (police) that you'd rather not attract the attention of. It's an occupational hazard.

scootz

posted on 24/3/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Burn him! He's a witch!

It's Evolution Baby!

scudderfish

posted on 24/3/14 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
if cars weren't moving at all then there wouldn't be any collisions between cars-cars or cars-people!.

I had a mate at Uni doing some work at Longbridge. He took a prototype car out for a pootle around the Midlands. Sat at a junction, a kid ran full speed into the side of his stationary car and knackered the door sufficiently that the window wouldn't go down any more

onenastyviper

posted on 24/3/14 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
...are you seriously suggesting that we allow everyone to "exercise their judgement"?

That's what's happening at the moment, to a greater or lesser degree, so yes.

Are you seriously suggesting that everyone currently lives so much in fear of rigorous police enforcement that they drive religiously to the speed limits at all times?

Let me put it like this - would you be happy and comfortable if everyone else was given the same level of freedom to "exercise personal judgement" ?

"If I knew what I was doing then it wouldn't be called research would it?...duh!"

MikeRJ

posted on 24/3/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Burn him! He's a witch!

He turned me into a newt!

...I got better.

[Edited on 24/3/14 by MikeRJ]

BangedupTiger

posted on 24/3/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Only 85 ??? Clearly need a bigger engine.
splitrivet

posted on 24/3/14 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
All I would say to all this, quite frankly, is that (whatever) the roads really are no place for any vehicle remotely 'interesting'. The tarmac is an unsafe place, with many drivers distracted, idiotic or just plain uncaring.

I (like many people?) removed my kit car from the road, fitted slicks and never looked back. My desire for a kit car in the first place came from a wish to survive on the highway. Too many hospital visits from motorcycling SMIDSY events.

The last SMIDSY was the youngster who "failed to see" the LWB white transit pulling the huge white BJ racebox. I saw the 'accident' coming like a train crash, the van went past the junction, the trailer followed, the youngster approching didn't even slow down, didn't look, just went straight into the side of the trailer. He's why I gave up motorcycling and driving kit cars on the road.

Thing is, my Mundaneo is very easy to keep to speed limits, and I do, religiously, annoying the tailback behind me. The overtaking risks that I've seen are quite unbelievable. Nothing amazes me now, I expect the worst from people.

Surely everybody here, driving a kit car on the road, has exceeded the limit (safely) at some point. It's that kind of car, it's a kind of car that attracts attention, as does a motorcycle, from people (police) that you'd rather not attract the attention of. It's an occupational hazard.

Excuse my ignorance whats a SMIDSY.
My point is'nt really the undertaking daft as it is in a handbuilt car with your @rse 6" off the deck and as far as I can make out at night as well, or breaking the speed limit, Ive done both in my normal motor and certainly broke the speed limit in my kit as well. Its coming on here and saying that youve done it and saying youve had the misfortune to be caught doing it.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 24/3/14 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Sam_68

posted on 24/3/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Let me put it like this - would you be happy and comfortable if everyone else was given the same level of freedom to "exercise personal judgement" ?

What a truly odd question - Yes, of course I would!

I'm slightly bemused that you might think me so arrogant and conceited as to suggest that there should be one law for myself and another for 'everyone else'. I don't consider myself anything special either in terms of my driving ability or my personal judgement. Quite the reverse: that's why I'm quite happy that the vast majority of the driving public could be allowed similar latitude to that I've given myself over the years, without it bringing down motoring Armageddon upon us all.

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
My point isn't really the undertaking... or breaking the speed limit. I've done both... Its coming on here and saying that you've done it and saying you've had the misfortune to be caught doing it.

Dafter than demonstrating your hypocrisy by coming on here admitting that you've done both whilst berating others for doing them, would you say?

r1_pete

posted on 24/3/14 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
SMIDSY - Sorry Mate I Didn't See You
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ST_eely

posted on 24/3/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

What a truly odd question - Yes, of course I would!

I'm slightly bemused that you might think me so arrogant and conceited as to suggest that there should be one law for myself and another for 'everyone else'. I don't consider myself anything special either in terms of my driving ability or my personal judgement. Quite the reverse: that's why I'm quite happy that the vast majority of the driving public could be allowed similar latitude to that I've given myself over the years, without it bringing down motoring Armageddon upon us all.

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
My point isn't really the undertaking... or breaking the speed limit. I've done both... Its coming on here and saying that you've done it and saying you've had the misfortune to be caught doing it.

Dafter than demonstrating your hypocrisy by coming on here admitting that you've done both whilst berating others for doing them, would you say?

haha, good point Sam!
I thought the whole point of these forums was to share stories /have the general craic / share build info.
I didn't come on to boast about being caught speeding, I was merely sharing my story Bob. You seem to have the opinion that anyone who doesn't abide to the last letter of the law is some sort of raging mentalist road vigilante! I'm no angel behind the wheel or bars, but Id like to believe that I'm not the only one who has had that "moment" when you thought "f*ck it" and pushed the loud pedal with a massive grin for a short blast, or am I..?

ST_eely

posted on 24/3/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Only 85 ??? Clearly need a bigger engine.

TBH im glad its only the 2.0 pinto. Imagine the sh*t Id get into If I had a BEC! ;-)
Or the sh*t I would get ON here lol!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.