Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: garage CCTV for 20 quid
cobra427

posted on 27/4/09 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote
garage CCTV for 20 quid

I just build (in experiment form) a 3 camera CCTV system for project garage for less than 20 quid..

using an old winXPpro pc (well a laptop at mo) a usb hub and 3 webcams bought from adsa for less than 7 quid each and a bit of free software.. hey-presto.

It date/time code stamps the archived recordings.

The live view cycles through the cams - while the playback can be from any of the cams (still playing with it at mo - so dont know if you can select a different camera and it picks up the new view at the same time stamp).

The only stick in the mud at the mo - is that I've been told that evidence recorded on a pc is inadmissible in court - dont know if that's true - but our system at work records onto hard drive and we have to burn to cd for the police.

Once the new garage IS built I now can plan around CCTV and make sure that cams are armored and the pc is in the house.

Just thought I'd share.

[Edited on 27/4/09 by cobra427]

There's no substitute for CC's

trikerneil

posted on 27/4/09 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds interesting, I'm sure a few on here would be interested.

What free software have you used?

Have you got a link?

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 27/4/09 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I'm interested too!

rgrs

posted on 27/4/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
The reason why you have been told that the evidence would be in-admissable is because there is no tamperproof watermark, CCTV systems that record to a hard drive system must encorporate an end to encryption system.

If you want more info pm me as this is what i do to pay the bills.

Regards Roger

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/4/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
can't you make it two way and with a large loud speaker so you can shout abuse at anyone fiddiling with your garage?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 27/4/09 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
also note their is a max length to a USB cable. I think its 5m if the camera is powered, less if its not.
coozer

posted on 27/4/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have a cctv system using an old pc in the garage and cameras hidden under the eves of the house.

while not exactly as cheap, I used an input board I bought off ebay, it uses BNC type cables, runs 24/7 and can record 4 cameras at once onto the hdd.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cobra427

posted on 27/4/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'll post a link to the software when I get home tonight.

it can use both usb cams AND IP cameras, so that drops the need for usb boosters (which can be daisy chained to 25 mtrs).

On the screen there is a time code - but it's possibly like the rgrs said - no way of proving to the courts that the image hasn't been tampered with...

But that said - you still have an image of the perp(s) which sadly could fall into the wrong hands coz you've dropped the cd while going to the police with it.... and as a result they mysteriously gets hurt

I was planning on using IP cameras (wired not wireless) and then I can go longer runs. From what I remember of the softwares blurb it'll deal with quite a few cams (8+)

gingerprince

posted on 27/4/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Novel new way of publishing a build diary, too
dhutch

posted on 27/4/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
Novel new way of publishing a build diary, too

Yeah.
- There was a narrowboat builder who set up a live webfeed to a camera in his work shop. Very good way to pass a lunchtime, or even half the afternoon!!

Then he added an addtional camera for the crane in of boats.

Daniel

cobra427

posted on 27/4/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ok guys...

the software is Eyeline..

http://www.nchsoftware.com/surveillance/index.html

I'm using 3 asda own brand cp-68l web cams.. not very clever but not expensive - just right for the testing stage I think. it's working for the moment so I'm happy.

It WILL audio record - so I must remember to turn that feature off otherwise it's record everything said in the house..

It indicates any motion detection and tells you on which cam - date - time.

I'm playing with the motion detection at the mo - (got the youngest to run up n down the street), if it doesnt work it'll have kept the kids out of my hair and I can see what they are all up to.

I've deliberately got a camera upside down but I've flipped/mirrored the image to be the right way round.

To be honest - I think it'll do as a starter kit.
And if it means you can go knock on someones door and politely tell em to stay off the garage roof or stop peering through the key hole - it'll act as a deterrent and will help keep our gear safe.

To quote tesco.... every little helps !!

trikerneil

posted on 27/4/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thankyou cobra427.

I have bookmarked that page and will investigate further.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.