Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Swap
GrumpyOne

posted on 3/9/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Swap

A bit of a poser this one

I have my donor car on a SORN, still have the shell in the driveway as yet, if I tell the DVLA that I have changed the engine in it and let them do all the paperwork. Can I then use the swapped engine in my Viento and still get an age related plate?

The donor car is a Ford and the new engine is from a Jaguar.

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/9/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
i have never registered a car so i don't really know.

is there anything stopping you changing the viento engine after you get an age related plate?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

handyandy

posted on 3/9/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Grumpyone....

a u2u sent

andy

GrumpyOne

posted on 3/9/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
i have never registered a car so i don't really know.

is there anything stopping you changing the viento engine after you get an age related plate?

The Ford engine I have is from a Scorpio and it would cost too much to put it in. I have now bought the Jag engine and want to build the car around it.

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

Nash

posted on 3/9/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
GrumpyOne
My understanding for IVA purposes you now have to show photographic evidence that the engine was actually in the car and the V5 alone is not sufficient evidence.

Thats because of the number of V8 Sierra's there were in the country that were used as donors for Kits!!!

HTH's......Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

GrumpyOne

posted on 4/9/09 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nash
GrumpyOne
My understanding for IVA purposes you now have to show photographic evidence that the engine was actually in the car and the V5 alone is not sufficient evidence.

Thats because of the number of V8 Sierra's there were in the country that were used as donors for Kits!!!

HTH's......Neil

That does help, I think if I was honest I already knew I wouldn't get away with it

Now, who do I know that can use Photoshop

l0rd

posted on 4/9/09 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you actually remove the engine form the ford, place the jaguar engine in it take a couple of pictures and remove it?
cd.thomson

posted on 4/9/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
on a positive note I believe you can still get an age related plate if the engine numbers dont match but you have used a certain number of other parts

And IVA arent bothered about your V5 documents or which engine went where. Its the DVLA you have to convince, so its a postcode lottery

Craig

nick205

posted on 4/9/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Can't you actually remove the engine form the ford, place the jaguar engine in it take a couple of pictures and remove it?

That's what I'd be doing

Can't be too much effort to "rest" the Jag motor in place and take a few pics.

speedyxjs

posted on 4/9/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I have changed my engine from the donors but i have got pics of it on a pallet, and pics of the donors engine and the donors engine in the back of the astra when i delivered it to college.

So long as you take enough pics, it should be fine but i also havnt done IVA yet (hoping for age related)

whats with all the jag engines anyway? Giving me competition

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Danozeman

posted on 4/9/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Id sit the jag engine on some bricks in the engine bay and change it on the v5. They cant say anything then.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

GrumpyOne

posted on 4/9/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
I have changed my engine from the donors but i have got pics of it on a pallet, and pics of the donors engine and the donors engine in the back of the astra when i delivered it to college.

So long as you take enough pics, it should be fine but i also havnt done IVA yet (hoping for age related)

whats with all the jag engines anyway? Giving me competition

Thanks guys, pics, pics, pics it is lots of them and from every possible angle, then a load of BS at the Aberdeen DVLA

Hi Speedyxjs
I thought I might pique your interest when I mentioned Jag engine
I have bought myself a 3 ltr V6 from a 1999 S Type along with the matching gearbox. I will be using a Link ECU to handle the fly by wire throttle and the VVT.
I was going to get the larger V8 supercharged engine but when I told my wife about it she smiled knowingly. I knew then that she thought I would kill myself with it so I bought the smaller one just to spite her

Marcus

posted on 4/9/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Is the V6 not a Duratec derivative? May be easier than we think, I'm sure there may be a few of those finding their way into the odd Sierra!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 4/9/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Is the V6 not a Duratec derivative? May be easier than we think, I'm sure there may be a few of those finding their way into the odd Sierra!

The block is the only 'same' part. All the rest is Jaguar.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.