Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slick 50
thepest

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Slick 50

Does it really do anything or is it just snake oil?

Link

clairetoo

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I once holed a piston in an old transit - it promptly blew all the oil out , but I needed to use the van , so I did three return trips (Leicester / Northampton , 80 miles a time) with it running on 3 cylinders and the oil light on constantly ............ when I stripped the head and sump off to put a new piston in the crank and shells were undamaged , the engine was fine
So yes - from my experience it works wonders !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

adithorp

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Snake oil...but very well persented. Oil companies spend millions improving thier formulas to get the best combination of properties. If they could make as big an improvement as easily as Slick50 claim don't you think they'd save thier money and do it.
When it first appered the oil was no where near as good as it is now and it might have helped, but not now.

"...Slick 50® Engine Treatment
Will Not Dilute Your Engine's Oil..."

How can adding something to the oil not dilute it? 100% oil is not the same as 80% oil / 20% Slick50.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

oldtimer

posted on 12/9/09 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've used it a couple of times on bikes with high miles. They were wearing out and needed regular tappet adjustment - used slick 50 and that was it - seemed to stop/slow the wear so I'm sure it does something good. Watch out in modern bike engines with a wet clutch - lubes up clutch plates pretty nicely too......
designer

posted on 12/9/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Isb't it just like STP used to be?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 12/9/09 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Isb't!!!!

Hate these laptop keyboards!!!

"Isn't"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 12/9/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
No, its supposed to adhere to or impregnate the bearing surfaces, and form a ptfe type layer. I've used it a couple of times in good engines, and gone on to do big milages without appreciable wear.

rusty nuts

posted on 12/9/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I remember reading an article years ago in Hot Car or CCC where 2 cars were driven around a track both of which had the oil drained out one of which had been treated with an additive the other untreated. The treated engine went on a lot further before siezing than the untreated. Loads of possible explanations but ?
thunderace

posted on 12/9/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
i like zx1
http://www.team-zx1.com/Automotive

bilbo

posted on 12/9/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Used this stuff on all the old bangers I used to own, 15-20 years ago. Used to rev the nuts off these things and it made a noticable difference in my opinion not only to engine wear but smoothness and power delivery. As said, though, not so sure if you'd get any benefit with modern engines with modern oils, but if your running a crossflow or something, go for it.
Oh, and I was always warned off using it in a pinto as apparently it could block the holes on the cam shaft spray bar - not sure if this is true, but I never risked finding out.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

GrumpyOne

posted on 12/9/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Snake oil, always has been

http://www.skepdic.com/slick50.html

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

whitestu

posted on 12/9/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
It didn't stop the big end shells wearing out in my Alfasud.

Snake oil IMHO.

thepest

posted on 12/9/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
:S so many conflicting stories... so on the other hand is there any reason as why not to use it?

Does it really clog up oil passages?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.