Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Problem
Puzzled

posted on 20/1/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Problem

Right--- everything hunky dory, or so I thought.I have finished the build, car starts and runs like a dream. Timing spot on and ticks over like a Ladies Watch!!.Went for a bit of a spin , to iron out rattles etc , everything going grand ,then I come to a full stop, engine just dies. With my limited knowledge I diagnose "Fuel Problem". Take off feed to Carb (from fuel vapour separator) no petrol coming when engine cranked. Take off pipe from pump to seperator and get drenched in fuel!!!.Look in the Book and while this unit (Separator),is mentioned , and can be "Faulty" it does"nt say what it does or how it can be fixed if it is faulty. Anyone able to explain or help please??
jacko

posted on 20/1/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Engine ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Puzzled

posted on 20/1/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
fuel problem

Sorry ------ 2litre pinto Carb
carpmart

posted on 20/1/10 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
To the O/P, this is the wrong section for this post and need to go in engine section! You will get many more replies there!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

flak monkey

posted on 20/1/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dump the seperator, you dont need it!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jacko

posted on 20/1/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Dump the separator, you dont need it!

I second that dump it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 20/1/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Makes sense to dump it.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Puzzled

posted on 20/1/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestion, but when you say dump it, what do I do with the return to the tank???
RichardK

posted on 20/1/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that just had a fuel in and fuel out, so just take it off and join them together using an inline fuel filter or something. Using carbs it not usually necessary to have a return to the tank and if fitted to the carb like a dgas then it can be blocked off without any problems.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 20/1/10 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

fatbaldbloke

posted on 20/1/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, for a carb setup the fuel should go from the tank to a low pressure pump, then through a filter (although there may also be a strainer in the tank). The fuel then goes into a pressure regulator (you're not getting this confused with a separator, are you?). This needs to be set at around 2.5 psi. The fuel then goes from the pressure regulator into the carbs, and that's where it stops, there should be no return.
Puzzled

posted on 20/1/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pump is original mechanical one. the "Thingy" has 3 outlets.1 Feed from pump.2 Feed from "Thingy" to carb and 3. Return to tank.I can clearly see it in the book and its called "Fuel vapour separator".Now the concensus seems to be "BinIt", if I do then will I just plug the end of the return pipe??
Thanks for the help Gents

RichardK

posted on 22/1/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, now I understand, the "Retrun" to the tank just went to the top of the tank to return the vapour to the tank, have you got it essentially submerged in the fuel tank? Maybe thats your problem, either way yep block it off and join the other two together.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.