Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a good commuter bike...
Steve Hignett

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a good commuter bike...

Hi All,

I am in the relatively unfortunate position where I lost my job at the start of the year and my wife is due to give birth to our first child in approx 3 weeks time.

I am currently working at a manufacturing firm that most have heard of, but it is on a hugely reduced salary and travelling an awful lot further than I used too...

We have already decided to go down from two cars to one (mine is a Seat Leon Cupra 2001, and the wife's a Rover 220TD) Although it makes more sense to keep the Rover due to fuel economy, it's not that great a car, and the Leon is obv not that great for economy, but apart from needing £300 spending on it after the weekends MOT (which I don't have) it's an ok car!

I also have a Yr2000 Yamaha R6 in Virgin Mobile colours, that I intend to sell when the weather picks up. It's in need of an MOT and a back tyre (also don't really have the money for that!). But this evening I realised that I could make a smaller change and still come out OKish...

I could sell the Rover, keep the Leon, and sell the R6 to purchase a commuter bike...

So, which bike to go for?
I estimate the R6 value at somewhere between £1600 and £1850 ish, so take out £150 for the tyre and the MOT and I would like to get a bike for circa £1500.

I know the Bandit, Hornet are the right shape for commuter bikes, but does anyone have any real experience of any commuter bikes? I need to do approx 70 miles per day, and the roads are M6, then A500, then A50, A520, B5040...

All suggestions welcome!
ebay, would prob be my method of purchase...

Cheers,
Steve

Wheels244

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the R6.
Not bad on fuel.
Well capable bike and arrive at work with smile on your face.
Whatever you change it for would probably need something replacing on it sooner or later.
Better the devil you know sometimes.

[Edited on 4/3/10 by Wheels244]

55ant

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
thought you were talking bicycle!
Andy S

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Google 500cc Commuters and follow the MCN link

GPz would be my choice as a decent enough compromise - ER or CB for Captain sensible

Being an old fart I have an XS650 and Daytona 955i

Andrew

rayward

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
i commuted on a GPZ500 for about 2 years, (even having my tools strapped on the back whe i was contracting !)

ideal for the job

hth

Ray

whitestu

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I had a GPZ as well. They are dead solid and cheap to run.
Not sure I'd want to commute 70 miles on a bike though.

Stu

Steve Hignett

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Am looking at suggestions as made so far, but just to clarify one point it's 35miles each way

ETA;- ps, If I spend £1500 on something I don't want to spend a penny on it afterwards! Also, soes anyone have a preference for which all weather tyres? (I've been running part worn race tyres for the last 5 years on all my bikes )

[Edited on 4/3/10 by Steve Hignett]

flibble

posted on 4/3/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Did 40 miles each way on a TDM850 for a few years come rain or snow, loved it, easily get one for £1500 now.
big_wasa

posted on 4/3/10 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep had three Gpz500s. Good for what they are.

You may aswell keep the r6.

Steve Hignett

posted on 4/3/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming I keep the R6, which I don't fancy for the simple fact that I have a serious back problem and it's not the best riding position for that sort of thing!, what tyres can I really depend on for all year round grippy riding???

daviep

posted on 4/3/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100, comfortable, scary fast and you can use it as a donor in a couple of years when you're back on your feet

EDITED FOR POOR GRAMMAR

[Edited on 4/3/10 by daviep]

mads

posted on 4/3/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
highly recommend the bandit. done over 250 miles in a day on many an occasion with no problems, and sometimes two up with a full panniers set on.

it's a good all round bike and if you can get the S version, its semi-faired so fine for the motorway too. you should be able to pick up a decent one for £1500 and they are easy to work on. I took mine almost completely apart when i had an off and that was with no mechanical knowledge. even replaced the chain and sprocket on it.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

flipp

posted on 4/3/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
have a look at a yamaha 900 diversion a bit bland but reliable, cheap parts an shaft drive so minimal maintainance
mookaloid

posted on 4/3/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Probably get shot down and I hesitate to say it but a Honda Deauville is a great commuter. Weather protection, built in luggage capability, built for comfort and should be economical.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Memphis Twin

posted on 5/3/10 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
BMW k75s or K75RT. Great triple engine;shaft drive; weather protection; comfortable riding position; lovely exhaust note;BMW build quality and reliability.

Or a BMW flat twin....like mine

[Edited on 5/3/10 by Memphis Twin]

welderman

posted on 5/3/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Why not put some some renthal bars on the R6, street fighter styleee, goos seating position for your back to mate, i will do it for you.

street fighter
street fighter

[Edited on 5/3/10 by welderman]

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

afj

posted on 5/3/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
er5 or cb500 would i had a gpz500 for 2 years and was great 0-60 faster than most cars and 125mph and 55mpg
can you cope with 55mph then get a honda cb125 you might crack 90mpg

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sebastiaan

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Probably get shot down and I hesitate to say it but a Honda Deauville is a great commuter. Weather protection, built in luggage capability, built for comfort and should be economical.

I was actually thinking Honda PC800... Not the prettiest thing in the world though.

Dangle_kt

posted on 5/3/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

SV650s ticks most the boxes, but the seating position isn't the best.

Bandit 600s would be a good choice, but I would suggest considering a shaft driven bike.

£100 for new chain and sprockets a few months in is a bit of a kick in the knackers - plus it cuts down on the maintenance - I cant imagine cleaning and oiling the chain will be high on your list when you have done a full days work, ridden 70 miles AND have a wife and baby to look after.

So, you could consider a Deaville - they do exactly what you are after - but no more, they aint fun and they aint sexy. St1100 might just scrape into your price range too, but it might need some love at that price which isn't what you want.

I commuted for 3 years on a cbr400rr tri-arm, great little bike - bulletproof mechanically, but cramped riding position.

I commuted to nearly 1.5 years on a sv650s, great engine, crap brakes, bit cramped.

I commuted on a GPZ500 for a few months - didnt like it at all, did the job but felt like it was made from cheap everything.

Commuted on a bandit 600s, very comfy, great at motorway speeds, and excelent low speed handling for cutting through the traffic.

Also you could consider a susuki gs500e, good solid bikes, but I have never ridden one - just know they are known for being good solid commuters.

As is the Honda Bros, but it might be an ex courier...

If I was you I'd be looking at a faired bike, a naked will give you a sore neck on that length commute - even if your neck is bigger than my waist!

[Edited on 5/3/10 by Dangle_kt]

fesycresy

posted on 5/3/10 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Economical, faired, bullet proof, cheap spares, cheap insurance and it's red (just like Virgin colours).......

This is the bike for you my son

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

thunderace

posted on 5/3/10 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
try to find a thunderace best all rounder i have ever owned.o
a thundercat if you want a 600cc.

mads

posted on 5/3/10 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I cant imagine cleaning and oiling the chain will be high on your list when you have done a full days work, ridden 70 miles AND have a wife and baby to look after.

ah the joys of a scottoiler....!

as for cleaning, yep it is a PITA but if you clean the bike regularly enough the chain can be done at same time.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.