Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone know anything about (house) building regs and planning etc
cobra427

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know anything about (house) building regs and planning etc

We're trying to find the answers to a few (dozens) questions with regards to building regs..

There's no substitute for CC's

coozer

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Like what? A lot depends on your council, they are all different..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

zilspeed

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Well they shouldn't be.
The regs are the law and not open to interpretation.

Or shouldn't be.

cobra427

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you're ready for this...

Basically We want to (re)build a garage thats on our land - it burned down 38(ish) years ago (so previous owners say) leaving 3 walls. the front (where the doors would be) and one of the side walls form part of the property boundary.

We want to rebuild on the site- but make the new garage wider. It wouldnt cover half of the land - our boundary is aprox 3 ft from a windowless side wall of a factory. the garage goes onto an unadapted road (rear of our house. 2 nearest houses are 35 and 55 ft away.

The stick in the mud is that we've been told that theres a sewer that runs through our garden - but not sure exactly where - it's mentioned in the deeds but only in passing - there are no manholes etc in the garden.

The house dates from 1860(ish) and Id say that from the depth of the cellar (old servants kitchen (period features still there) that the drains area good 15ft underground.

Does this mean that theres a poss that this sewer will be at the same depth and would it be affected by any (re)building of the garage.

In a nut shell - if we can - I dont want to go through planning. but then again I dont want some suit telling me to knock my shiny new garage down.

Alfa145

posted on 22/3/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Previous owner of my house rebuild the garage slightly wider and slightly longer and higher and didnt get planning permission for it but when I came to buy it they had to go and get retrospective permission for it so I would guess you need to go through planning. Give them a ring and see what they say.
MakeEverything

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
The local planning officers are usually very approachable, and whilst you may never actually see them, they will normally go and have a look when no-one else is around.

Have a chat with them, and confirm anything thats agreed in an email or letter, requesting that they respond.

Soulds to me like it should be ok, but check with them as its the bylaws that differ between councils.

For example, where i live, its an offence under a particular bylaw to park on grass verges yet the police do it all the time when they park their camera van!!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

cobra427

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's the sewer bit thats worrying us at the mo..

JoelP

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt be too concerned about the sewer myself, im no expert but i think that affects building regs, not planning permission. There are ways to build over it if its too close to the surface anyway.

Definately call them for a chat, you've nowt to lose!

scootz

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:

Well they shouldn't be.

Or shouldn't be.

They all differ... they have their own local rules.

It's Evolution Baby!

theconrodkid

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
sewer wont be that deep.they rely on gravity so have to be higher than where it joins the main run.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

cobra427

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think we're gonna end up ringing them - I just dont want to open a can of worms..

We've been on planning portal and that outlines the general rules - size and placement for new build but nothing about re-building something thats there in the first place.

rgrs

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have a search for 'Permitted Development' this should explain what you can and can't do re:planning, as far as sewers etc that would fall under building reg's. Again very approachable people.

At the end of the day both the planning and building regs officers would rather that issues were discussed now rather than part way or at completion of any build.

Roger

iank

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
iirc In theory you can replace what was there before so long as the remains are recognisable and you don't change the floorplan. However as you want to make it bigger you will need permission, however from your description it probably wouldn't be a major issue.

If you try and do it without permission they may make it a major issue on principle.

Plenty of ways of overcoming the sewer problem, but you'll have to find it first. Any manholes in the neighbours gardens to give you a clue?

[Edited on 22/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

cobra427

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
(in reply to conrod.)

There are drains in the cellar go somewhere and those are 15 ft below the level of the garden theres also a drain in the small courtyard of the old servants entrance to the house - now our cellar.

cobra427

posted on 22/3/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
no manholes in other yards. all of the other houses do not have an arrangement like ours - our house is the last in the row (bottom of a slope) which was build by the mill owner - ours is the only through house and the only one with a garden.

ravingfool

posted on 22/3/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
quote:

Well they shouldn't be.

Or shouldn't be.

They all differ... they have their own local rules.

The regs don't change and neither do the rules for planning permission.

Planning permission has a subjective degree though and this is impacted by the local building policy and the members of the planning committee.

The majority of small developments like this wouldn't see the planning committee unless refused and appealed.

Talk to planning, just because you're thinking about doing something doesn't mean they're going to hound you indefinitely. (ie. if they tell you it'll never get permission I seriously doubt they're going to come round your house every year for the next 10 to check whether you went ahead and built the garage anyway! - there are a few problems with that approach though.) If planning aren't helpful or think you may have trouble getting permission a local architect should be able to quickly talk you through what will and what won't make it through planning.

spdpug98

posted on 22/3/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to the Planning Issues I would call the local council and arrange a meeting with the Duty Planner, you tend to find that they do not like to attend site unless you have submitted an application - and the relevant fee!!

The ‘building over the drain’ is an issue that would be dealt with by Building Control and they will be able to advise you, in some areas, the relevant water suppliers have a massive input into this - such as Southern Water. This area could possibly cause you some issues, as the regulations are easy to overcome if the drains are shallow but if they are deep then that is when it can get difficult and expensive. However, as I said in some areas the water suppliers do not get heavily involved

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

scootz

posted on 22/3/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ravingfool
Planning permission has a subjective degree though and this is impacted by the local building policy and the members of the planning committee.

Didn't explain myself well (who, me!?)... but anyway, that's what I meant ^^^

For example... we wanted to build a new house in the countryside. Had we stayed in West Lothian then it would have been fine, but we live in East Lothian and they have their own interpretation of the 'Development in the Countryside Act' (which they're apparently entitled to), and they wouldn't allow it.

It's Evolution Baby!

plantman

posted on 22/3/10 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
we have submitted loads of planningg applications over the years and have found the very best way forward is to approach planning, explain clearly what you would like to do. If they feel a site visit is needed try to meet them and discuss your plans.

I f you feel are not getting there you can always employ a professional to submit your application, the last application we did cost us £350ish local building surveyor last year obviously you don't pay them until the application is successful!!!!

don't worry about the sewer can be moved altered etc well don't worry until the digger goes through it!!

have fun

wicket

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you are interested you can download a set of B regs form here for £9.97

http://www.ukbuildingstandards.org.uk/?gclid=CIXy5O2qzaACFSU8lAodTizC0g

More useful info here

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/explanatorybooklet.pdf

The B/regs lay down guidance requirements but alternative ways of meeting the requirements may be allowed

see here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/BuildingRegulations/DG_10014147

catman

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Catman's wife here. I would be the one in a suit that would come and tell you to knock your garage down!!

Basically the sewer would not effect an application for planning - this would only be a building control issue. In respect to wether or not plannig permission is required it would depend on the size, height and distance from the boundary. I haven't got the legislation in front of me and so I can't remember the precise measurments - just write to your local planning authority with the dimensions and ask them if permission is needed.

Hope this helps

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

andrew

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
just rebuild what was there save you headache and fees
SteveWalker

posted on 22/3/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wicket
If you are interested you can download a set of B regs form here for £9.97

http://www.ukbuildingstandards.org.uk/?gclid=CIXy5O2qzaACFSU8lAodTizC0g

More useful info here

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/explanatorybooklet.pdf

The B/regs lay down guidance requirements but alternative ways of meeting the requirements may be allowed

see here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/BuildingRegulations/DG_10014147

Or if you go direct to the government planning portal, you'll find all the approved documents for the building regs. At first glance, they appear to be priced, but that's for the paper version, further down each individual page is the link for free download of the PDF.

zilspeed

posted on 23/3/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
If I could add one last point here.

Anyone deemed to be qualified on the subject is not allowed to casually give away the information without consideration of the consequences. If I make comment in here on an informal basis, the advice given, if wrong would be deemed binding as I would considered to be an expert rather than a non expert. You can then quite legitimately sue me. For something I said free of charge on an internet forum.

What does this mean ?

It means, never take advice on such matters casually, because anyone who makes a living from it understands this.
If you're given advice casually, it means the provider of the information doesn't completely understand the consequences of getting it wrong. Therefore, they're not an expert.

I mean expert in the broadest possible sense here.

(all of the above sounds unbelievably pompous, I know, but professional indemnity is at the core of it.)

As stated previously, seek advice on the specifics of the case from your local planning office.)

Brommers

posted on 25/3/10 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Anyone deemed to be qualified on the subject is not allowed to casually give away the information without consideration of the consequences. If I make comment in here on an informal basis, the advice given, if wrong would be deemed binding as I would considered to be an expert rather than a non expert. You can then quite legitimately sue me. For something I said free of charge on an internet forum.

Well, I may not be an expert on planning, but I am an expert on the law, and that's cobblers. A lot of people, who aren't experts on the law, think it's true. Some insurance companies think it's true. However, for there to be a claim for negligent misrepresentation, there has to be a duty of care - and there's no authority which says that one internet forum user owes another internet forum user a duty of care.

The underlying reason for this, however, is the same as why your general advice (don't necessarily believe what you read on internet forums is good advice) holds good - people are presumed to know that advice on internet forums can be good, can be bad, and thus they shouldn't necessarily trust it. That means there's no duty of care.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.