Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting Kitchen Worksurface
rsmith95uk

posted on 6/8/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cutting Kitchen Worksurface

Hi,

will be putting in new worksurfaces shortly and a change in design means that I will now have an external 90 degree turn.

My question is, how do you mitre these so that you get a bevelled edge around the turn? I have assumed that the only way to do it is to cut each 'board' at 45 degrees, but I'm not confident that I could get a perfect fit, especially as I expect the walls will not be perfectly at that angle!

OR

Shall I leave it to a professional - if so, any recommendations in the Romford/Hornchurch area?

Cheers
Ray

blakep82

posted on 6/8/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
i think you can buy a sort of template thing that shows you all the best ways to cut corners on worktops?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rsmith95uk

posted on 6/8/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i think you can buy a sort of template thing that shows you all the best ways to cut corners on worktops?

These appear to only cater for internal mitre's, although I'm prepared to be proved wrong!

adithorp

posted on 6/8/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure about the best way of mitering it but a friend of mine says always use a new blade for each cut. Otherwise although the blade might be following the line at the top by the jigsaw, it'll bend/waver below. He also uses down cut blades in his jig saw so he cuts from the top surface without chiping it. Down cut blades do need you to keep presure on the jigsaw at all times though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Liam

posted on 6/8/10 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Aye 45 degrees and they should match up. Or more generally - half the total angle each and the profile will match up. Having said that, if the deviation is very small on your not quite 90 degree walls (they never are), even if you cut one at 45 degrees and the other ended up having to be cut at 43, say, the difference in the profile will be so small they'll match up pretty well.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thunderace

posted on 6/8/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
unless your a kitchin fitter dont bother as you need a jig and a router,(about £400)
just buy joining strips its the easy way and gives a nice finish .
like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/40MM-WORKTOP-CORNER-JOINING-STRIP-BLACK-/300286923731?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item45ea7ed3d3

as for cuting the sink get a worktop cutting blade for your jigsaw as it wont chip as bad and cuts on the down stroke
and i always use 2" masking tape it good to see your lines and stops the fence on the jigsaw marking the worktop and can help stoping it chip.

thunderace

posted on 6/8/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
leave it to a professional
did not spot it was an external 90 degree turn.

MikeR

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
internal 90 - use a joining strip.
External 90 - use a professional.

When i cut mine i used a circular saw with expensive, many toothed blade. To cut out the sink i used the router as i didnt trust the jig saw blade not too cut perfectly vertically

BenB

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
unless your a kitchin fitter dont bother as you need a jig and a router,(about £400)

No it doesn't!
Jig costs £20
Router costs £40
Kitchen worktop bit kit £10

(I bought them all for my kitchen installation). My old router had two narrow a collett for the length of bits needed.
Trouble is the skill bit is priceless

Liam

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Not that I've done any, but I don't see why an external mitre should be so much more difficult than an internal mitre that people are saying use a pro??

Of course dont use a jigsaw as the best jigsaw blade in the world on the best jigsaw in the world guided by a straight-edge will still wander through 40mm of worktop. So just mark up, clamp a straight-edge on and use a router for the cut. Can't see why it should be any more difficult than a hockey-stick internal mitre.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locogeoff

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace

No it doesn't!
Jig costs £20
Router costs £40
Kitchen worktop bit kit £10

(I bought them all for my kitchen installation). My old router had two narrow a collett for the length of bits needed.
Trouble is the skill bit is priceless

I'll second that, and got excellent results from one up from cheapest B&Q sourced tools, a decent jig properly clamped and sharp router bits removes a great deal of the skill required.

p.s. I'd say the router I bought as a "I'm only going to use this once but" has been the most usefull piece of kit I've ever bought under those conditions, I made jigs for a belfast sink cutout, and when cutting worktops it's just a case of hack off more than you need by a couple of mm then router back to the exact length for a good finish. Woudn't even think about cutting a worktop without one these days.

On the other hand I don't think an external mitre would be possible with a masons mitre, but the router will give you a nice neat cut. Personally I'd make the worktops join at right angles then fit the kitchen to the worktop by fettling the edge of the worktop or the wall until it fits nice, but thats just me

Peteff

posted on 6/8/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Where's Joelp, he'll put you right.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

interestedparty

posted on 6/8/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
The only way to get a clean joining edge is with a router, and you really want a big (1/2 inch) one for that job. Then you need to guide it in a dead straight line (otherwise there will be gaps in the join).

One of the pieces will have to be turned upside down for the trimming cut (routers only work one way).

The better a cut you get, the more noticeable any imperfections will be.

There is NO WAY you will do an adequate job on your first attempt.

[Edited on 6/8/10 by interestedparty]

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

gottabedone

posted on 6/8/10 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Screwfix is your friend here - it's not too dificult

Steve

v8kid

posted on 6/8/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Done hundreds of kitchens in my time and always subbie worktop mitering out.

£40 to £50 is the going rate.

Professional templates cost hundreds and you need a big router with a v sharp bit - not a cheapo one cos they blunt before the first cut is finished.

The difference is immediately apparent. Why spoil your all your hard work for the sake of a few pounds?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

interestedparty

posted on 6/8/10 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gottabedone
Screwfix is your friend here - it's not too dificult

As long as you don't care what the finished job looks like.

zilspeed

posted on 6/8/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you know what you're doing, you can achieve a completely satisfactory result with nothing more complicated than £6 worth of Sandvik 244.

And when I say completely satisfactory, I mean a pukka mason's mitre with no gaps in it.

Yes, the jig and router make it simpler to acheive consistently good results, but it's just a cut at the end of the day.

JoelP

posted on 6/8/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
dead easy with a router, cut the left one first at 45 degrees, then sit the other on top and mark it up, flip it over and cut it.

Have you thought about the nasty pointy sharp corner you will be left with? Probably wants a few inches taking off it, and edging. Not entirely straight forward that bit as you would have to cut it before its joined, as the exit wound would ruin your bullnose.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mark.s

posted on 6/8/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
its not worth the hassle doing it your self, you have got to get a router, jig, work top bolts, colour fill (if you want to use it)
i'm sure you've got the glue and 10mm spanner for the bolts

then...

you've got the pressure of fitting it and making it look good, get it wrong and your spending even more money

ring a fitter defo

mark

interestedparty

posted on 6/8/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Whether its easy or difficult for those people who have done this stuff before, I stand by what I said earlier and repeat that there is no way someone who hasn't done anything like this before is going to get an acceptable result on his first attempt.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.