Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Saab 9-5 2.3 hot or Volvo S60 T5?
rich201283

posted on 23/10/10 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Saab 9-5 2.3 hot or Volvo S60 T5?

I am buying another car and would like advice on which car i should buy,Saab 9-5 2.3 hot or Volvo S60 T5?
Andybarbet

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
We have had our year 2000 95 saloon for about 6 months now and we are very pleased with it.

Ours is only the 185bhp 2.3 litre so i can only imagine the Hot being even better.

Apart from needing regular oil changes due to possible sludge building up in the sump, they are bullet proof.

Cant comment on the volvo though ??

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

mookaloid

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Another Saab fan here

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

sdh2903

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Think it depends on the year to be honest, I was left very underwhelmed by a post GM takeover 9-3 aero, just felt a bit well tinny to be honest. Never tried the bigger sibling tho. The volvo seemed a very well put together bit of kit and not sluggish either.

I ended up plumping for an st220 tho in the end

40inches

posted on 23/10/10 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Got a '99 9-5 2.3 lpt, love it Just make sure you use full synthetic oil, changed every 6000miles.
Andybarbet

posted on 23/10/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Only niggle i can think of is really small but the electric window buttons are on the centre console, what with the centre ignition switch, handbrake, its all a bit tight. Would have been better putting the switches on the doors me thinks.

As for build quality, the 9-5 is solid, i was told recently if you have an accident with a volvo, make sure your in a 9-5 as you will come off better !!

So far we have done some very long (300+ mile) journeys & it cruises lovely on the motorway, also fitted a tow bar to it and towed a caravan for the first time, car was spot on

Our average day to day mpg is about 29 but on a run you can easily get high 30's if you stay below about 85mph, i managed to get 42mpg on one journey but that was sitting at 60mph & i dont normally drive that slow

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

T66

posted on 23/10/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
My 9-3 Aero is a full on GM hybrid of Vectra/Omega and a sprinkling of Saab.

Its been the best car Ive ever owned, the only car I have ever bought two of, It has been with me 5+ years, Is still in good nick...

When I first got it, steering/handling was vague I agree, and power (205bhp) was usable.

Mine is well sorted, handles very well , and yes I would have another one. At 290bhp it is fairly potent...

Mine is ten years old now, and I intend keeping it another few years.

My line of work has been known to buy a lot of Volvos, which appear to be tempermental, and are costly to service.

The sound of a S60 Turbo is pretty cool !

My vote would be Saab.

TimEllershaw

posted on 23/10/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the Saab.

I had a 9-3 HOT for about 8 years, and loved it. Not great handling and terrible mpg, but the acceleration always put a smile on my face.

Tim.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
escary

posted on 24/10/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
s60 t5

similar engine in my focus, smaller car and i don't drive like a loony. Expect no better than 27mpg, average in the focus varies local running ( up to 10 mile radius ) 24mpg a decent run 30mpg.

have also heard about the engine oil issue, both sound like well built decent cars

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.