Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine
mattyc

posted on 10/4/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Engine

Well after taking my Cross flow engine out over the winter, with every intent of replacing it with the bike engine setup I had bought; I have finally had to admit defeat. It is just a step to far for me with the time that I have. My car is at my parents house witch is 20 miles away from my house and between work and other commitments I just have had no time.

Today was the first decent day I have had chance to get out in the garage and I have achieved knout. I have come to the conclusion that I want to put a car engine back in it. Either a Zetec or a Pinto or any thing else that is going to be quicker than the old knackered engine that was in her.

Any words of wisdom, encouragement or any body who has a can of petrol and a lighter are more than welcome. I have about £500 quid to get her back on the road ASAP. Will also have a Kawasaki zx10 (89) engine packaged for sale.

Cheers

Matt

[Edited on 10/4/11 by mattyc]

MakeEverything

posted on 10/4/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
With £500, you should be able to get a bored crossflow to go straight back in.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mattyc

posted on 10/4/11 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Really want to head away from a cross flow but i will bear that in mind.
perksy

posted on 10/4/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with conversions is it can start to add up quite quickly, Engine mounts, Exhaust manifolds etc etc

If you want it back ASAP how about another Crossflow to get you through the summer and then do the conversion during the Winter when you have sold the Bike engine bits ?
This will them help finance the conversion

Just a thought...

omega0684

posted on 10/4/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
upgrading from a crossflow only gives you one cheapish option and that a zetec if you want more power, as mentioned above though, you might need to sell the bike engine before you can complete the conversion

im with perksy on this one, stil the x-flow back in and enjoy the summer! (whilst saving) and do a zetec conversion next winter

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 10/4/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto can be done cheaply but heavier and dearer to get good BHP, 2nd hand silvertop and megasquirt should be achievable under £500 you will get around 150bhp. Can be done cheaper if using carbs rather than the injection as you only need megajolt spark only . I used the blacktop tubulat manifole and had a downpipe made cost £50 for manifold and downpipe picked up a megajolt and bike carbs 2nd hand for £230 , made my own mounts

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mattyc

posted on 10/4/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well I have sourced a gt1600 cross flow with everything I need to get back on the road. So should have it collected and back to mine before next weekend all being well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.