Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9R FUEL PUMP FAULT?
rich201283

posted on 18/4/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9R FUEL PUMP FAULT?

Do the fuel pumps go bad much?
The pump is constanty going a the car wont start, there is fuel in, if i nip the line to the carbs i presume the pump should stop pumping as it has got pressure, this carrys on pumping, When it does stop pumping intermitantly it runs but sputters when opening the throttle wide

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/4/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Carbed zx9r? yes.

I had one of those fuel pumps, once the pressure is up it should slow and eventually stop.
If it doesn't then either you have a fuel leak (hole in pipe, stuck float valve hence flooding), or the pump has failed internally.

Maybe clamp the hose output from the pump and see if it still pumps (it should stop).

When I had problems of this sort it was flooding carbs that needed some new o-rings and a damned good clean.

Matt

RichardK

posted on 18/4/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seemed to have had a lot of pumps failing recently, maybe due to them being laid up over winter but I personally wouldnt have thought this was any different to a motorbike being laid up for the same amount of time but cant say I've ever heard of a lot of bike fuel pumps failing.

So a bit weird really... Yours does sound like it's buggered though as it should stop when back pressure is sensed.

Cheers

R

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rich201283

posted on 19/4/11 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
Just checked the wiring, the pump positive wire was to the negative and the pump negative was to the positive, i have switched them round a the pump is stopping again, I will test when i get home frm work
whitestu

posted on 19/4/11 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
If any of the connections between the tank and the pump are poor it may pull in air and will continue pumping. Mine did this and I stopped it by moving it closer to the tank. Initially it was in the engine bay.

Stu

rsmith95uk

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the post hijack, but I have a ZZR600 pump feeding my zx6 carbs - should this also stop when up to pressure?
Cheers
Ray

jacko

posted on 19/4/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rsmith95uk
Sorry for the post hijack, but I have a ZZR600 pump feeding my zx6 carbs - should this also stop when up to pressure?
Cheers
Ray

Yes
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.