Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: university interview
Kwik

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
university interview

as i am an indecisive person i have naturally changed my mind mid way through summer about what course i want to do.

from engineering to product design. so i emailed them and i have an interview at 10:30 tomorrow morning, i have my portfolio full of my loverly work ready but there is one problem.

one question i know will come up, what made me change my mind?

the truth is because i realised half way through my exams im just not good enough at maths and physics to do it for another 4 years, and my other subject was product design which i just find easy, but i cant say that to the interviewer.

so what shall i say? and if the interviewer is on here give me a place please

thanks for any response...
chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Well to be fair (I'm guessing) product design has nothing to do with physics, just say you couldn't get your head around it but you found this side of the course you were previously doing you excelled at.

It'd be like saying that while trying to get your racing licence you found you were pants at taking corners unless you were going sideways so you're moving from Touring cars to Drifting

steve m

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Honesty will always win,

so be honest, maths and physics were not your best achievements

By lying, you will confuse yourselve and possibley them

Steve

Brook_lands

posted on 11/7/11 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I would say just that - the truth. Drop out is a major problem for Universities and they have a obligation to help you get on the course and enable you to successfully complete your programme of study.

I handle unversity admissions and have done for a number of years. The BS detector is always turned up to max at interview and generally you can spot the ones that are saying what they think you want to hear rather than what they really think.

james h

posted on 11/7/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just be honest, as said above!

Where will you be doing your Product Design? I'm doing the exact reverse of you at the moment, going from Product Design at Brunel University to Motorsport Engineering.

They were very helpful in the changeover, and surprisingly accommodating. I initially started an engineering course at another uni then stopped after the first year, had a year out (in which I finished my car), went into Brunel for design and then halfway through the second year I had a change of heart again Despite all that, they let me onto engineering for next year.

If you can show enough passion and desire, then I really don't think you'll have a problem with the interviewers. Changing course within universities is easier than many people think.

Good luck with the interview tomorrow!

James

Kwik

posted on 11/7/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
i could say that after finishing my studying i realised it would be better for me to exploit what im already good at?

its the truth but i don't mention maths and physics...

its Hertfordshire uni im going to. so if anyone wants to give me a lift in there locost at 10 in the morning from hatfield station to the uni

hopefully they will be wow'd at my portfolio and they will offer me a unconditional place

cheers for the advice
chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 11/7/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would focus on the positives of your choice - you like the creativity/artistic aspect and feel it to be your strength, rather than focusing on the negatives - yeah it's because I'm crap at maths and physics. If you really must, just mention you dont consider maths and physics to be your greatest strengths relative to design, rather than flat out saying you're weak at them.
norfolkluego

posted on 11/7/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
As above, just be honest, you'll gain more respect from your assessors than trying to blag your way onto a course you don't want to do, try blagging it and as said you'll be rumbled anyway.
Happy students tend to be good students.
Actually, happy students tend to be still in bed

Kwik

posted on 12/7/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
had the interview today

sort of an odd experience, they ask you to bring a load of work, we sat down and he rushed through it, not reading anything really... i could have written anything

it was only half an hour long and half way through he popped the question, and before even answering he said "because you're not doing well in maths and physics?" i had to, the urge was too big and said "no because product design plays more to my strengths"... awkward 2 seconds of silence...

he then gave feedback on my portfolio, said there was a lot of car stuff and for some reason got the impression i liked cars... wonder how...

he said though i was a very strong candidate and got a conditional offer

and he was very impressed with my CAD work, which is nice to hear especially as i only had it for 6 months

anyway, im happy and managed to get an early train home, result !!

eddie99

posted on 12/7/11 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Good news, shame about the uni though
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.