Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gel coat
thunderace

posted on 28/8/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
gel coat

how much get coat would it take to do this roof .(just gel coat in black)
ebay Item number: 180646969251
(i got told it would cost me £150 more to have it done in black)

[Edited on 28/8/11 by thunderace]

plentywahalla

posted on 28/8/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
You can work it out. One millimetre per square metre is a litre which is a bit over 1 kilo. I pay about £3 per kilo for gel coat. Assuming the roof is about 2.5 m x 4.0m thats 10 sq M.

It depends how they apply the gel what kind of thickness they apply, But just the gel shouldn't cost more than £40.

I have been thinking about this tho' ... Nearly all moulds are done in black. This is because you need a sharply contrasting colour to ensure a good coverage of gel. If that is the case they may well be estimating that they have to double gel the mould to guarantee the finish.

[Edited on 28/8/11 by plentywahalla]

clairetoo

posted on 28/8/11 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
As far as a colour change goes , its not just a case of using a different gel coat - they will be buying their layup resin pre-coloured as well , and more than likely in 100 + litre drums........
So , to make a one-off black roof , they will have to order in all the resin needed , then chuck away all the tools and mixing buckets after use (you dont want colour contamination in future moldings...)

£150 sounds quite reasonable to me .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mad-butcher

posted on 28/8/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fcuk me drunk, £949 for a black roof doesn't even say if it comes with any windows or a roof vent,

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
plentywahalla

posted on 28/8/11 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
As far as a colour change goes , its not just a case of using a different gel coat - they will be buying their layup resin pre-coloured as well , and more than likely in 100 + litre drums........
So , to make a one-off black roof , they will have to order in all the resin needed , then chuck away all the tools and mixing buckets after use (you dont want colour contamination in future moldings...)

£150 sounds quite reasonable to me .

I don't agree. Layup is very rarely done in pigmented resin. It is much harder to ensure total wet out of the laminate if the resin is pigmented. The moulding will be finished with a pigmented flo-coat so the moulding will appear all one colour, but the laminate wil almost certainly be laid up with clear resin.

Mixing and applying sundries are always discarded. Using a different colour gel doesn't increase costs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.