Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rattle can spraying tips
Davegtst

posted on 28/9/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rattle can spraying tips

I'm spraying a naca duct gloss black and could do with some advise getting it right. I have primed it then given it about 5 coats of gloss black flatting the paint in between coats with wet 1200 grit paper. I have got it to a very good shine that i am happy with but i have a very slight 'dust' of paint on the edges of the lines of paint. I have tried going slower and putting more paint on but whatever i do i still get the 'dusting'. I want to laquer it so it really needs to be perfect before i do that. Do i need to polish it first before laquer or is it the crappy Halfrauds spray tins?
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/9/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Give the paint a couple of days to cure and then buff it down with some rubbing compound. Then give it a coat or too of lacquer, this seems to promote the lacquer to go very shiny. Halfords paints are actually ok, I painted my motorbike with them and it turned out really well. Don't use wax polish for at least 4-5 weeks as that prevents the paint curing and causes grazing to the surface. Also don't mix brands, stick to one like Halfords for all the coats as paints are very prone to react badly, which is probably the worst thing to happen when painting something.

look at that, halfords rattle can paint job, fab

[Edited on 28/9/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 28/9/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, i'll give it a try tomorrow. As for the laquer is it best to do a coat and flat it back or just do a second coat over the top? Your bike looks very nice btw.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 28/9/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
The main thing is not too spray too far away from the work, that can give nasty overspray with rattle cans.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

MikeRJ

posted on 29/9/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
The Halfords aerosols are very good compared to most, especially the ones they mix for you in the shop. Shame they are so bloody expensive.
thunderace

posted on 29/9/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
i always drop my cans in hot water for a better finish (always paint in a warm place and shine a bright light on the job) ,3 dust coats giving it 1 min between coats if its warm and then a wet coat give it a week to dry and if you have any rund block them out with 1200 then wet flat the whole job with 2000 then t cut it for a perfect finish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.