Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: filled my mrs tdi with petrol (help)
thunderace

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
filled my mrs tdi with petrol (help)

last night i spoted my mrs car has 15miles to empty in it so i filled it £60 of petrol (astra twintop 2008 diesel) spoting my mistake i had it towed home by my mate ,has anyone any advice on how to get it out the tank.
tul214

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I once put petrol in a mondeo tdci. I only put £15 into an empty tank so I topped it up with £40 diesel and ran it. No issues at all.

If I were you I would try to drain some out and then just stick a load of Diesel in it.

Good luck

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

thunderace

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
its how do i get it out ,that is my problem
snapper

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Pipe out of tank, as low as possible, gravity drain best but you can run the pump for a little at a time.
Fill with Deisel and run.
You must clamp the pipe to the engine to stop the pump and fuel filter draining.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

HowardB

posted on 3/12/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
from another forum

"Life the base of the back seat. It's a bit tricky with the wire clips in the frame. On the driver's side, there is a large back plastic plug. Remove this. You will then see the pump. Disconnect the pipes, and then twist off the black securing ring. Lift the pump out a little at first, let the fuel drain out. Watch the float lever at this point, it sits to the side. Remove it totally, and then get your hose in, then siphon in the traditional method. Refitting is a reversal of the above procedure. "

hope that helps,...!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Davegtst

posted on 3/12/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I drain fuel from cars for a living so don't worry you aren't the only one. Under the bonnet disconect the fuel hose that goes into the filter and use a length of rubber hose from the fuel pipe to a big can or bucket. Turn the ignition on and the fuel pump in the tank will run for a few seconds and pump the fuel out. Keep turning the ignition on and off until the tank is empty (i'm pretty sure the astra has quite a long pulse so it should't take too long). When it is all out pour a few litres of diesel in and flush this through then fill the tank and away you go.
minitici

posted on 3/12/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Misfuel
Davegtst

posted on 3/12/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
How dare you post that link! He's in Birmingham and one of our competitors.

This is my company, we are a bit far away though. Just do it yourself, it's not hard.

Fuel Contaminations

[Edited on 3/12/11 by Davegtst]

Dusty

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'm amazed that you can make a living off pump plonkers. Must be more of them around than I realized.
AntonUK

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for a hijack but it is related...

How do you dispose of the old fuel afterwards? I have about 15litres of old unleaded i need to get rid of, but the local tip wont have it.

Davegtst

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
I'm amazed that you can make a living off pump plonkers. Must be more of them around than I realized.

Trust me there are more than enough to go around to make a very good living. Got to dash, another plonker just filled up.

MkIndy7

posted on 3/12/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK

How do you dispose of the old fuel afterwards? I have about 15litres of old unleaded i need to get rid of, but the local tip wont have it.

Swan Vesta's?

Steve Hignett

posted on 3/12/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty

Trust me there are more than enough to go around to make a very good living. Got to dash, another plonker just filled up.

What sort of mileage do you in the week though?

Actually, I don't suppose it matters, you obviously don't pay for your own fuel

BenB

posted on 3/12/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
quote:

Swan Vesta's? [/quote

Give it to someone with a really big lawnmower / strimmer / leafblower.
The little diesel in the petrol won't do much (I reckon ).

thefreak

posted on 3/12/11 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

See if a scrap yard will take it?

thunderace

posted on 3/12/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
from another forum

"Life the base of the back seat. It's a bit tricky with the wire clips in the frame. On the driver's side, there is a large back plastic plug. Remove this. You will then see the pump. Disconnect the pipes, and then twist off the black securing ring. Lift the pump out a little at first, let the fuel drain out. Watch the float lever at this point, it sits to the side. Remove it totally, and then get your hose in, then siphon in the traditional method. Refitting is a reversal of the above procedure. "

hope that helps,...!

big BIG thanks to howar that worked im now getting the petrol out the tank into my fuel cans.

RoadkillUK

posted on 3/12/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a photo of how I did my Xantia, removed the rear seat, disconnected the fuel hose and connected another that lead to a drum, disconnected the fuel pump and connected a battery to that.

Dietrol by RoadkillUK, on Flickr

Dietrol by RoadkillUK, on Flickr

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 3/12/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
The Law
Storage of fuel at home or the workplace (unless specifically licensed) is restricted by law to either metal containers with a maximum capacity of 10 litres or approved plastic containers of a maximum 5 litres capacity. These containers should be designed for the purpose and must be fitted with a screw cap or closure to prevent leakage of liquid or vapour.
Petrol and diesel fuel should be stored in no more than two 10 litre metal containers or two 5 litre plastic containers. They should be clearly labeled as to their contents.

wilkingj

posted on 3/12/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I recon that old fuel would work well in a Kit car, certainly if you have an 80's or earlier engine.

I would just put a gallon in the tank at a time (then top up with fresh fuel).
Certainly dont waste it.

Unless you have a highly tuned, highly strung engine with an ultra modern ECU, I would use it a glaaon at a time in the kit car.
A little diesel will make it smell a bit, but certainly wont harm an older engine.

Perhaps you can afford to throw away £60. I know I cant. Use it a little at a time, and not all in one go. Then it wont be wasted.

My local garage, uses contaminated fuel to run their heating system for the entire garage. It should never be wasted

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.