Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I tried to like it, but only made it to lap 20
Dangle_kt

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I tried to like it, but only made it to lap 20

I was determined to give F1 a crack this year, especially after all the fuss made about coverage etc.

But, does absolutly nothing for me.

Any sport that relies on stopping to make it exciting (pit stops strategies....) is on a looser in my opinion. The odd overtake I saw was usually not live, and I didn't see any drivers really having a traditional DING DONG like in most other racing. I know it can't always be super exciting for the front runners, but there are usually some exciting battles further down the grid in other motorsport I watch.

The pundits had so much time to discuss technical aspects of everything, because nothing else was happing.

The crowning glory was when they were discussing a new driver, who seemingly let someone past, and they said "wise move considering its his first race and that team he let past is a sister team and may give him a ride next year"

WHAT!? It's racing, you want a driver to show some grit, and fight, not just roll over so he can potentially line up a fat paycheck next year

Disapointing, but at least I won't waste any more time on it again this season.

daniel mason

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
you should have watched the whole race then mate. there was a few DING DONGS in the later laps.and a huge shunt for maldonado who was racing superbly until last lap when he hit the wall.one of the best races ive seen for ages.
it was more the safety car that altered track position for lewis and there was some great overtakes. vettel on rosberg for one

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Every pass I saw had some technical explanation. DRS this, tyres that, it's not racing IMO. Yes the car should play a part in a teams performance, but it should be much more about skill (I'm NOT saying they are not skillful btw, merely that its overshadowed by a corporate machine)

I'm sure as a whole 60 lap marathon it might have had brief moments of excitement, but it's not my spectator sport of choice by a long way.

wylliezx9r

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the op, never managed to watch a whole race. You see some good overtakes/bumps etc but the majority of the time it reminds me of scaletrix. Its probably down to the speed the cars are doing and the number of rules that govern overtaking. Well that's my 2p.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

david_hornet27

posted on 18/3/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Must've watched a different race to me because I loved it!!!! Thank God F1 is back!

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

nick205

posted on 18/3/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
I agree with the op, never managed to watch a whole race. You see some good overtakes/bumps etc but the majority of the time it reminds me of scaletrix. Its probably down to the speed the cars are doing and the number of rules that govern overtaking. Well that's my 2p.

Same here...desperately want to be excited by it, but it just doesn't hold my attention or interest

zilspeed

posted on 18/3/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I like qually.

It's like a hillclimb or sprint - beat the clock and everyone else's time and you've won.

I'd rather a 20 minute sprint race, but that's hardly a grand prix..
Longer races don't work with single seaters.
Big sports cars or saloons, yes.

We're all different though.

vanepico

posted on 18/3/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
There are two people on my mech eng course who do nothing but talk about mclaren's new nose and "ooh have you seen ferrari's 2012 car?" It drives me up the wall but in my opinion, the engineering behind the cars is by far more interesting than the racing.

Back in 'the old days' (can I say that as I'm still a teen? ) when they were oversteering around the corners I would have sat down and watched it.

Like I said in the other thread I'll sit down in the front room and idly glance every now and then while facebooking and watching pointless youtube videos.

I can't think of such a silly thing as DRS, so basically they aren't even relying on the engine anymore? They add an electric motor that can only be used for 5 seconds on the straight? Why not just take it back to the 1970s where they dared to overtake.

PSpirine

posted on 18/3/12 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that race was really really good, but then again I'm only a license fee payer so only BBC highlights for me (surprisingly extensive I have to say)

People want F1 to be all about the skill I think you're missing the point. F1 is as much about engineering and the machines as it is the drivers, it always and always will be - it's pushing the boundaries of racing technology.

Nobody argues that touring cars or other lower levels of motorsport make for more exciting racing with more driver skill dependence. F1 is just a different thing altogether, it's a much more wholistic event. It's not a sport as much as just an overall technical + team competition..

Surrey Dave

posted on 19/3/12 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Simple

If you like it - watch it

If you don't like it - don't watch it

chrisxr2

posted on 19/3/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
doh

But until you have watched it at least once you dont know whether you like it or not.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

A1

posted on 19/3/12 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Im sure its exciting for the drivers, but I find the racing too boring, as said its not racing, after first bend its pretty much over. they seem to think that more rules will make it better, they should just tell every team theres a 10million quid limit to go as fast as possible.

I wont be watching it any more, just waiting for the bikes to come back on

RK

posted on 19/3/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder how comfortable it must be for Vettel to continually walk around with that horseshoe up his derriere.
Peteff

posted on 19/3/12 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I had some natural yoghurt the other day and I didn't like it, there I've said it and I don't care what you all think.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

fullpint

posted on 19/3/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
MARMITIE

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 19/3/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well I liked the Sky coverage, about time we had some-one covering practice/qualifying.... but thank god I only watched the replay stuck it out to the bitter end. I had hoped for a better season this year but sorry it's just more of the same, DRS, kurs or whatever it's called, when are we going to see driver ability, Roll on World Superbikes/ Moto GP

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 19/3/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
F1 should do what BRISCA do, those with the most points start at the back.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.