Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speaker Choice
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Speaker Choice

Nothing to do with cars

I have been given a surround sound amp, but with no speakers

It is rated at 15W each for 5 speakers and 50W for a sub woofer, impedance is 4-16 ohms

What would be the best choice of speaker rating for this system?

Should I go for speakers rated higher than the amp can supply or stick to 15W? or any other things I should take into account?

Thanks

[Edited on 6/4/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/4/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
15W rating implies a low end unit??
Anyway, any speakers rated at 15w or more will be fine. Me, we use JBL control 1's all round, small, capable and not a fortune. Pretty indestructible too (as in had a pair smoking, literally, at a pub gig many years ago, they survived intact)
Try richer sounds, always something of a bargain to be had there. Speaker packages a good way to go, and if funds tight skimp on the rear speakers, they are effect only. Centre speaker very important.

gazza285

posted on 6/4/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Peak or RMS power?

It's the square waving of an overloaded amp that kills speakers, so don't get too hung up about the numbers matching, the speakers can be less power than the amp and still be more than loud enough for the room.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 6/4/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
15W rating implies a low end unit??

Why?

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/12 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I know you can't just go by the watts as being an indication of potential volume as I have had 5W speakers in cars in the past that were very loud

Not sure if it's peak power or just what they recommend for normal use

I was thinking that getting some speakers rated at 20 watts would mean they should happily take 15 watts for hours on end? If I got 100 watt speakers then they would be hardly moving at 15 watts and so would be not as loud as a 20 watt speaker, is that how it works??

It's actually quite a nice quality unit despite not being 1000 watts etc and is for a quiet room and not a outdoor event

gazza285

posted on 7/4/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

I was thinking that getting some speakers rated at 20 watts would mean they should happily take 15 watts for hours on end? If I got 100 watt speakers then they would be hardly moving at 15 watts and so would be not as loud as a 20 watt speaker, is that how it works??

No, it's more to do with a speakers sensitivity than power handling, and generally it's the sensitivity that you pay for, peak power and frequency responses are usually just marketing headlines.

Five channels of 15 watts of RMS power would be very loud in a normal living room.

As for which speakers? Some that the wife likes the look of...

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/12 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks shall start looking for some then

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.