Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Please DO NOT do this at home :)
rf900rush

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Please DO NOT do this at home :)

I was googling how to make a DIY tig welder and stumbled upon this..

LINKY

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
...and that's why gas tanks should be chained to something so they don't fall over.

Mind your ankles.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

vanepico

posted on 3/7/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Holy Shitaki mushrooms.... I've got a 300bar co2 argon mix in the garage :s
dave r

posted on 4/7/12 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
watched that on a course at work only last week

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

FuryRebuild

posted on 4/7/12 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm buying chains and padlocks today. My Y cylinder is empty at the moment, but will be needing a new one very soon.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Bluemoon

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Standard safety video stuff.. Compressed cylinders are not to be messed with, larger ones @300bar will go though walls.. Just handle with care and always chain them up so they can't fall over (on of the big risks is just how heavy the larger cylinders are, and worst still you don't want it to fall and shear it's valve off..).
vanepico

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a chicken or egg moment, who welded up the first gas cylinder holder? And how much did they like living on the edge
Bluemoon

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
Here's a chicken or egg moment, who welded up the first gas cylinder holder? And how much did they like living on the edge

It's not that much on the edge just not nice and demands respect, bit like crossing the road really...

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
When I worked at BOC, a hydrogen cylinder (3,500 psig) fell off a lorry and snapped the valve off. You should have seen that. The friction ignited the escaping gas and it had six foot of flame coming out as it took off like a missile. I had no idea I had the potential to be an olympic sprinter.
It's amazing how blase we become about potentially lethal situations in every day life. Glass windows, train station platforms, petrol etc.
I have come to the conclusion that human beings are absolutly crap at risk assesment.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have knocked over my co2 cylinder before, quite easy really but it has a hard plastic protector around the valve which is just as well, tbh I just left it on its side, seemed safer that way
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vanepico

posted on 4/7/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Are they alright on their side? I swear they say keep upright.

I suppose gas cylinders are proof of just how strong steel is.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that acetylene cylinders have to be upright when in use - not sure about the other gases.

omega 24 v6

posted on 4/7/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Aceteylene should defo be upright as it is not a gas untill it evaporates. It's in liquid form while it is in the cylinder, much like propane and butane. Remember what happens when your blowtorch is not vertical???

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Aceteylene should defo be upright as it is not a gas untill it evaporates. It's in liquid form while it is in the cylinder, much like propane and butane. Remember what happens when your blowtorch is not vertical???

IIRC, acetylene is dissolved in acetone whilst in the tank - it has to be vertical so (a) the acetylene can come out of the acetone as a gas, and (b) the person holding the torch doesn't get pure acetone coming out of his torch!

Fred W B

posted on 4/7/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
People do get killed, it happened to someone I knew personally. He had gone to a scrap yard to weigh in some material, it was a fairly rustic place and someone on the far side of the yard decided to knock the brass valve off a cylinder that had been brough in as scrap. The cylinder still had pressure in it, it shot across the yard and hit my friend in the head, killing him.

My welding shield gas full size cylinder is chained to the wall in a corner of the garage. I have a long tube connected to the welder with quick disconnect fittings, makes it much easier to move the welder around.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

gazza285

posted on 5/7/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Howay man, torpedos.

Reminds me of a tale told by one of the old boys I work with of a lazy Saturday shift at work with nothing to do. Two of the lads had spied a pond near to the plant they were contracting on, and had brought a rubber dingy with them on the off chance of some fishing.

Once they were settled in the middle of the pond, rods baited and waiting the cry went up, "Howay man, torpedos!" and the oxy store was raided. The blunt end of the bottle was raised on a brick and the sledgehammer used, and away the bottles went amid much hilarity. No-one was hurt though, just a little wet.

One of the lads I used to work with also managed to demolish a toilet block at the Stanton pipe works when he hit an oxy bottle with the forklift and manged to knock the valve off as it fell.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.