Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: In line air filter
Doyleee

posted on 23/6/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
In line air filter

Hi all again, I'm after some advice/feedback on creating a ram air effect air filter system i have a zx12r in an indy and have a very well fabricated (not by me!) aluminium air box that is bolted onto the throttle bodies ( i would post pic but never done it before?? sorry)
so i am currently awaiting for a naca duct:

[img]http://http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/naca-air-intake-ducts-carbon.html[/img]

So i am thinking of connecting pipe from duct to an in line air box either a Pipercross venom type:

http://www.driftworks.com/pipercross-vm7000-venom-universal-cold-air-intake-induction-kit.html

or an aftermarket one like this:

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Remote_Carbon_Fibre_Canister_Air_Filter_CARBFIL

this will then feed into my air box from the side in the centre which incidentally houses the maf sensor or the air temp sensor whatever you call it!
so has anyone doe the same and has it helped by introducing cold air into the intake?
comments help appreciated

theduck

posted on 23/6/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Presume you have an airfilter already? Why not use that still?
deezee

posted on 23/6/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ram air comes into effect after 100 mph. So how often do you spend above 100? You'll need a designed plenum to get the correct pressure. Its more than just pointing the air intake forwards.

Doyleee

posted on 23/6/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
At the mo the K&N cone filter is quite big and cant really use it because of space
had another look today with friend of mine and he suggested a good idea of entering plenum chamber (ali box) in the side i.e the o/s position of the car so it enters the box in the center so maybe the air equally distributes to each cylinder as for driving over 100MPH that will happen at short intervals on track my mission is mainly to get cold air in as apposed to the warm air from rad.

theduck

posted on 23/6/13 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Picture of your existing setup?

Your original idea will work but if it was me I'd rather use a filter in the air box

Doyleee

posted on 23/6/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
why would you rather use it in the air box is that just your choice?,
Also how do i post pics?

theduck

posted on 23/6/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just personal choice. Rather a large sausage filter than a a small enclosed filter like the viper.

Post pictures either by adding to your archive on here or by using photobucket etc

mark chandler

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Sausage filters are noisy, also the front cylinders tend to run weak compared to the rear as they get buffeted with air.

Nice smooth ducting to clean cool air wins, convoluted tubing is not great, can you just knock up some tube and relocate your existing filter?

Doyleee

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Can't really locate my filter as quite big also an in-line one is less prone to airborne dust but unsure as to which one to use either the cbsonline one which is alot cheaper than the pipercross one just wondered would there be much difference?
cosmick

posted on 24/6/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
See my photo archive for ideas of how to make a pressurised cold air fed airbox which is very quiet and picked up 15 horse power compared to the original pipercross noisy sausge filter.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

Doyleee

posted on 24/6/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good cosmick
i think ive managed to upload pics does this work guys???:

http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/lees37/library/Maclaren%20no%202/Zx12r%20kit%20car?sort=3&page=1

cosmick

posted on 25/6/13 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i have looked at the photos and there will be some drawbacks of the current set up. Namely that you are correct about hot air being drawn into the airbox and that most bike engines thrive on a cold air supply from outside and plenty of it. The comment regarding presurised airboxes only working above 100 mph is in someway correct but the truthful answer is that any forward motion that can be collected and directed to the airbox will help. I have made an airbox for an R1 engined car using the Hayabusa airbox and the base of the R1 airbox to get the correct throttle body dimensions and it worked well. It could also work on the Kawasaki engine possibly.
there is also a height issue with the MK bonnet but i have squeezed one under for a Hayabusa so I know it can be done.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

theduck

posted on 25/6/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I stand by my suggestion of a sausage filter in the airbox and a connecting the naca duct to the the air box.

I don't see why people are saying they are noisy? It's not the filter that's noisy it's the setup. Unless of ass they mean without an airbox, which would e noisy but still leas so than no filter and no airbox.

Doyleee

posted on 25/6/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers cosmick for help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.