Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My old locost has come home !!
Deckman001

posted on 16/1/21 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
A little tip for clearing jets without stripping the carbs , open the throttle so the engine revs then place the palm your hand over the carb inlet for a couple of seconds, the engine revs will drop, quickly remove your hand while holding the throttle open . Repeat if needed. The vacuum created often clears any blockage. Poking anything through a jet is likely to enlarge it.

Ahh, so that's why my engine guy was doing that, I thought he was just seeing if closing of any carb changed the engine tone. re poking something down the jet, I used very thin solder, so soft that it would deform, but it may be what dislodged the blockage, I still couldn't get any thing solid through the jet, just compressed air mainly so hopefully whatever I did to get it sorted is a permanent solution.

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 16/1/21 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
quote:
A little tip for clearing jets without stripping the carbs , open the throttle so the engine revs then place the palm your hand over the carb inlet for a couple of seconds, the engine revs will drop, quickly remove your hand while holding the throttle open . Repeat if needed. The vacuum created often clears any blockage. Poking anything through a jet is likely to enlarge it.

Ahh, so that's why my engine guy was doing that, I thought he was just seeing if closing of any carb changed the engine tone. re poking something down the jet, I used very thin solder, so soft that it would deform, but it may be what dislodged the blockage, I still couldn't get any thing solid through the jet, just compressed air mainly so hopefully whatever I did to get it sorted is a permanent solution.

Jason

Doesn’t always work but always worth a try

Deckman001

posted on 17/1/21 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers

Just a thought, does anyone have a heater fitted for the cooler months? Seeing as I am now almost ready to do my retest, should i fit a heater for the drive there and back during the winter, or should i just man up and accept the challenge of frozen fingers and face as a sacrifice ?

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 17/1/21 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a heater because I have a windscreen but as a heater you can hardly feel any heat while driving unless you put your hand to the vent. Ideally if I was building again I would look for a heated Caterham screen and just connect a hose from the inlet manifold to the water pump
Deckman001

posted on 17/1/21 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, fair enough, that's the second recommendation of no heater without a screen and side deflectors/doors :-(

I do have a motorbike helmet or racing fire proof helmet insert balaclava along with gloves and a motocross face shield that could help with cold weather driving. I was thinking of a second reason for the heater to help warm up my speedo as when cold or damp, it stops showing the mileage although it does keep the mileage recording to show again once warmed up/dried up.

It's using am M8 sensor from ETB connected through two spade connectors, but it appears that it shouldn't be in an open 7 type car though.

Does anyone know if this is a stepper type speedo, so I could change the it to a more suitable type?

Jason

Schrodinger

posted on 17/1/21 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
If the guage is an ETB guage then you can use a gearbox type sensor from Burton https://www.burtonpower.com/ford-electronic-speedo-sensor-revfss.html
It works well with my t9 box and speedo.

Keith
Aviemore

rusty nuts

posted on 17/1/21 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
If the guage is an ETB guage then you can use a gearbox type sensor from Burton https://www.burtonpower.com/ford-electronic-speedo-sensor-revfss.html

Just be aware that not all type 9 boxes have a speedo drive for cable or electronic. Mine has no facility to fit one on the rear housing

Deckman001

posted on 17/1/21 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger

My sensor works fine, it's just the dash speedo that isn't liking the cold damp weather, so am just wondering if the VDO vision type speedo can be altered to be ok for a 7 type car or if i need to change to a different speedo as a permanent solution?

Jason

steve m

posted on 17/1/21 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Jason,

I had a heater in my 7 for the first year or so, but it was never that successful, so all ripped out,
what improved all round comfort was a good couple of layers on, and a wooley hat!

Also, with the split toneau and a small side cover for your right arm, it can get quite cosy from the waist down

But driving a 7 in the winter, the rain, cold, etc, is quite a miserable hobby, and these cars are so light, that even with excellent tyres, traction can be tricky

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 17/1/21 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Steve, my main problem is just the timing of a re test at some point soon so a very wintertime drive down to Gillingham Kent hopefully
Jason

Just a thought Steve, do you have a copy of the front suspension geometry I could have as I want to check the front right for correctness and I don’t have a copy of the book anymore.
Jason

[Edited on 17/1/21 by Deckman001]

steve m

posted on 17/1/21 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just emailed what i think you needed

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 17/1/21 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Steve,

It’s very much appreciated &#128522;

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 7/2/21 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I have finished all the jobs I can and am very pleased with it so far. The two jobs left are being done by the MOT center owner, the geometry set up to check the self centering, and a little bit of welding to tidy up some pre-welded brackets please the IVA tester. then it's another quick check of the emissions along with a head light alignment check. Sadly though, he has been instructed to self isolate so fingers crossed he'll be fine in a week or so.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 10/4/21 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd set myself up, I failed the original test and the general list is far above. I then did the retest and failed again, this time my speedo stopped working, and the steering was too stiff resulting in the car not self centreing again. Turns out the bottom ball joins were seized, the rack was a bit too dry, the steering column was also dry and the angle between the steering column and the rack was extreme. So I have replaced the lower ball joints, pumped grease back into the rack, made sure the steering column is greased up nicely so smooth, and i have reduced the angle between it and the rack.
I have made sure that the steering is now a lot easier to turn and even quite smooth, I have now put the car on a laser level set up and all settings are green apart from an amber on one of them so am very very happy to test it again.

The speedo, was another issue, I had fitted the sender too near the front of the prop shaft and there is a slight oscillation of it resulting in bad readings, I have moved it further back and along with rewiring the speedo removing some excess cable and joints near the connection and it now is very smooth and seams to work exactly as it should. Happy days, I can now start to relax about the retest for a few days anyway.

Jason

rusty nuts

posted on 10/4/21 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Which steering column are you using? If it is a Sierra item it is possible to change the plastic column bush where it goes through the bulk head witha self aligning bearing which makes the steering even easier and helps with the self centering. Av ailable from Simply Bearings , just use the center part of the bush reducing the outer diameter to fit through the bearing . Think its been covered on here ?
Deckman001

posted on 11/4/21 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it's a sierra one, I've put grease around the top bearing, the spring area below that as well as around that plastic bush through the rubber grommet, I can now turn the threaded section by hand so hopefully it's now a low free'r
The rack was a bit dry so I also re-greased that too, and with the new lower ball joint, with the wheels off the ground I can turn the steering wheel by a finger instead of two hands needed
It has now been set up on a digital laser set up as a 94-2011 cat supersport so hopefully it's the same age as my car so hopefully it's very similar set ups
Just a thought, anyone know which Caterham is of similar design and sizes as a locost ? Am thinking about windscreen and door sizes?

Jason

[Edited on 11/4/21 by Deckman001]

rusty nuts

posted on 11/4/21 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
https://nw.rhocar.org/supporting_the_steering_shaft.htm

Have a look at the link. Made a huge difference to my steering effort and self centering

Deckman001

posted on 11/4/21 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
T'is a shame I didn't see this before, I've sadly not got enough time to change what i have so am going to keep my fingers crossed for the final test attempt I can do.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 13/4/21 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Happy days, It Passed today at the retest !!!

So next job is to register it, so a few more hoops to get through based on the donor vehicle being a '77 plate, but the engine turned out to be a '79 so it won't be a straight forward exercise.

Many thanks for everyone's help with getting my kit car to this stage, hopefully we will all get out soon in 7's and other kitcars for a breakfast run somewhere.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 16/4/21 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

My car, sat at the IVA waiting area

rusty nuts

posted on 14/5/21 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Even with 1300 pistons for high compression and a performance cam I don’t have any problems with valve/piston clearances . Has your engine been modified and not had the valve to piston clearances checked? It is possible to machine valve pockets in the pistons . Another possible problem could be valve timing, or extremely tight valve clearances.When I rebuilt my engine I set the cam timing very carefully to the manufacturers settings before refitting the head , then I used some thick solder wire through each plug hole under each valve in turn while rotating the crank to test for clearance . Some people use plasticine but I was being lazy not wanting to remove the head if I didn’t need to . .

Deckman001

posted on 16/5/21 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good question, I am waiting to get the pistons back as well as the refurbished head at the same time, but I am intending to fit the pistons first and then check for valve clearances based on the assessed can valve lift declarations so that I can measure the assumed clearance before I re fit the engine bottom end and then build it up back into operational mode. Hopefully it will also be normally less noisy now too.

Jason

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.